Subject: [manet] Protocol Action: 'Rules for Designing Protocols Using the RFC 5444 Generalized Packet/ Message Format' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage-07.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2017 07:56:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Rules for Designing Protocols Using the RFC 5444 Generalized Packet/
   Message Format'
  (draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage-07.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Alia Atlas and Deborah Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-rfc5444-usage/

Technical Summary

   RFC 5444 specifies a generalized MANET packet/message format and
   describes an intended use for multiplexed MANET routing protocol
   messages.  This document updates RFC 5444 by providing rules and
   recommendations for how the multiplexer operates and how protocols
   can use the packet/message format.

Working Group Summary

  The document was originally requested as informational from working 
  group members who were attempting to use RFC5444 for their protocol 
  development.  The design principles of the packet format were not readily 
  apparent and the proposed usage of RFC5444 would have caused issues 
  into the future.  It was decided that certain behaviors were not just bad 
  choices but should be disallowed and the document was moved to 
  standard so that it could update RFC5444 normatively.  

Document Quality

  There are multiple implementations of RFC5444 which are compliant 
  with the updated rules. 

Personnel

    Document Shepherd: Justin Dean
   Responsible Area Director:  Alvaro Retana