Subject: [manet] USDOT FHWA Opportunity -- MANETs To Support Transportation Research

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 15:31:28 -0700

Hello Everyone - I have extensive experience in Connected Vehicle DSRC 5.9
GHz apps technology having served as Program Manager for the USDOT National
CV Test Bed.  

I also domain experience in Containerized Freight Logistics, with a keen
focus on truck ground transport containerized cargo at ports and intermodal
yards t/from local distribution warehouses.

I would like to pursue this attached opportunity with a focus on Topic Area
#1 - specifically the highlighted sub-topic below.

Problem is I lack MANET expertise --- reason for outreach here with this
email.

Am seeking expertise in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (and/or VANETs) - if
interested, please give me a call or send me an email - and would gladly
accept any and all feedback-guidance.

I look forward to hearing from you soonest.

Kind regards,

Taso

Taso Zografos   

415-215-6113

ZDEVCO  

Innovation Forward

FHWA BAA Topic 1: Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (MANETs)

Mobile ad hoc networks are fluid wireless moving networks that can form
independently on an ad hoc basis. The network is defined by mobile nodes
(smart devices, vehicles, etc.) that receive and transmit data and require
no fixed or dedicated infrastructure. This network paradigm lends itself
well to fast moving, complex, and dynamic applications (e.g. Transportation
System Management & Operations or wayfinding and navigation solutions).
Nodes can move cognitively into and out of the network through physical
movements or through devices turning on or off, thus re-defining the
network's characteristics. The network can then re-configure itself to
accommodate these changes. Mobile ad hoc network research and development
generally has been for Defense Department and first responder communications
system applications.

Why is this topic important to FHWA? There are applications where current
dedicated short range communications and current or emerging cellular
networks have the potential to fail or become oversaturated through a
combination of high communications traffic volumes, limited signal
penetration (e.g. indoors, canyons) or equipment failure. Mobile ad hoc
networks could provide applications for these environments and situations.
The following examples are for illustration. FHWA welcomes other
applications that could have a significant positive impact on transportation
safety or operations.

*       MANETs may be applied on crowded and dangerous intersections to
protect vulnerable users (e.g., pedestrians and cyclists), with the goal of
increasing their safety and mobility substantially.

*       MANETS may be applied for pedestrian wayfinding and tracking, crowd
counting, routing, and information sharing in situations with a high density
of people but limited radio signal access.

*       MANETs may be applied to facilitate movement in high density,
multi-modal freight facilities. Through communication between closely
coupled nodes in small areas, nodes can route vehicles through these tight
or crowded spaces to improve efficiency of freight operations.

*       In National Parks or similar areas, MANETs could assist in the
deployment of traditional or automated shuttles and provide important
schedule, trip, and other related announcements to Parks users.

For additional discussion, please refer to the white paper located at
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/advancedresearch/.
<https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/advancedresearch/> 

Note: FHWA anticipates that proposals in this topic will include two phases
- an initial phase with laboratory testing and development of a concept of
operations and a subsequent phase that includes field testing or a pilot
demonstration or deployment.

Special capabilities: FHWA expects that research on this topic will require
a multi- disciplinary team experienced with both the cyber and physical
elements of intelligent transportation systems. Researchers are encouraged
to partner with State Departments of Transportation or other system owners
or operators to enable experiments.