Subject: [Manycouches] IETF107 TXAuth post-mortem

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 22:54:25 +0100

Wow, that was a bit of a mess.

Webex losing audio towards a presenter (and other participants, who left frustrated) and not showing slides to browser-based participants.
(Slides tended to vanish after a presenter change.)
Some screen-sharing issues (bug or lack of preparation?).

Needing to juggle three different chats:

WebEx chat (for queueing and random stuff)
Jabber chat (for back channel)
Etherpad for notes, presentation of charter, plus logging the attendance, except that only roughly half of the 166 participants made it to the Etherpad (port 9009 is not accessible to people behind aggressive firewalls).  (The 166 was slightly inflated because some people had to join twice for audio on one instance and slides on the other.  130 people were listed in the Etherpad.)

Fortunately, the participants were skilled enough that this still worked, kind of, mostly.
I didn’t have the capacity to follow the Etherpad, and sure missed some of the finer points of the discussion.

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 13:55:28 -0400

> Needing to juggle three different chats:

I didn't find it too arduous on two monitors myself.
I have been using half-monitor (1000pixel wide) browser instances.
One on the far right for webex.
Next one on the left of the right monitor for etherpad.
On the left monitor is my pidgin for jabber, and sufficient space to also be
able to pull up PDFs of slides (when they died), and even a shell.
If someone wants a screen shot, I could do that.

    > Etherpad for notes, presentation of charter, plus logging the
    > attendance, except that only roughly half of the 166 participants made
    > it to the Etherpad (port 9009 is not accessible to people behind

I tried to get some feedback from Glen as to current status.

etherpad *is* *also* alive on port 443, but I believe that going through that
causes an apache proxy, which runs out of steam, so it's not the default
again.  So if you can use 9009, then you should.  If you can't, you should
open a ticket with your IT, because this is part of your work, dammit.

    > of the finer points of the discussion.

Pete's notes are in some ways a DoS in themselves :-)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-