Subject: [Manycouches] Call for agenda items

From: Suresh Krishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 00:19:21 -0400

Hi all,
  The newly formed shmoo WG will be holding a virtual meeting at IETF108 in
a 100 minute slot. The chairs are in the process of setting the agenda.
The first phase of the charter requires work on the following milestones

* High level guidelines for evaluating cancellation/replacement of
in-person meetings
* Meeting planning guidelines for replacement online meetings
* Guidelines for determining meeting fees for fully online meetings
* Technology requirements for fully online meetings

and we are looking for agenda items that address these topics. Please send
your request for slots to Amelia and me detailing

* Topic and presenter info
* Name of associated draft (if any)
* Requested slot duration.

Thanks
Amelia and Suresh

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 19:00:26 -0400

> your request for slots to Amelia and me detailing

I had to go look at the charter page to learn that manycouches is the
official ML for shmoo :-)   [I thought it might have been just a courtesy CC]
I'm told that we can't have aliases on ML because of how the mailarchive
works.  (But that might be fixed at some point)

I would almost prefer if SHMOO had it's own list.

At the 2019 March/IETF104 manycouches Bar BOF, where we sat on many couches,
there was a fair bit of discussion about technological/social experiments
that we wanted to do.  Not all of those ideas got into a document,
but Dan York's document from 2017 is pretty good, and rather prescient:

  https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-manycouches-completely-virtual-meetings-04.txt

While we aren't supposed to go too deeply into technology, just
"requirements",  I think that there is a tail-wagging-the-dog problem here.

A decision to replace an in-person meeting has to look at the risks vs benefits.
(We have long threads about the risks, and I don't want anyone to think I'm
denying them here)

We are very much aware of the current benefits of meeting in-person.
How much of that benefit can be got by technological efforts remains to be seen.
The manycouches discussion had a lot of intesting things to say about time
zones, mailing list changes, ...  I really don't know how much of that goes
into "meeting planning guidelines"

So I don't know what kind of agenda items you are expecting, in the days after
the ID deadline has passed.  I don't want to spend the meeting on hum
requirements :-)

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-