Subject: Re: [Manycouches] IETF Slack workspace

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 13:26:52 -0400

On 8/5/20 10:18 AM, Salz, Rich wrote:

>>     However, having said that, I currently also have the feeling that we rather have too many different ways to chat and it would make it easier to keep up if we could converge to one tool.
> That's true in the real world, tho.  So there's something to be said for reflecting reality, even if it's constantly reminding us that nothing works great.
>
> One can make the argument that the "IETF Enterprise" (sorry, Randy) could standardize on something. I believe that will just main that "shadow IT" groups will make their own tools available, probably even if the company provides such tooling.

Wondering if it would be interesting or possible to experiment instead 
with Mattermost and those bridges/add ons?

Also, is Slack being used between meetings as well-- eg now? Interested 
in how something like a chat forum might be alleviating larger issues of 
isolation, and not necessarily just standard setting, during this time.

-Mallory

-- 
Mallory Knodel
CTO, Center for Democracy and Technology
gpg fingerprint :: E3EB 63E0 65A3 B240 BCD9 B071 0C32 A271 BD3C C780

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 2020 16:02:36 -0400

>with Mattermost and those bridges/add ons?

The IETF Slack is modestly active most days. See the #chat-tools
channel where people are scratching their heads about what if any chat
tools to try out.

There's a vast number of chat systems, each of which have a their fans
saying that it's fabulous. I've used Mattermost which is OK but I am
not eager to have to leave yet another window open.

R's,
John

---

From: Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2020 16:37:13 -0400

> not eager to have to leave yet another window open.

Thanks for the insight. I only suggested MM because it is open source 
and self hosted. Possibly more stable and flexible as a platform, 
depending on one's view of OSS.

Fewer tabs and red circles are the reasons I haven't joined it myself.

-M

---

From: "John R Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 2020 17:03:15 -0400

> Thanks for the insight. I only suggested MM because it is open source and 
> self hosted. Possibly more stable and flexible as a platform, depending on 
> one's view of OSS.

All things being equal we certainly prefer software that uses IETF 
protocols and is implemented in open source.  Exhibit A: Jabber.

The problem is that things are never equal. While we surely could develop 
the expertise to run Mattermost (or pay a contractor like AMS to do it on 
our behalf) it's an open question whether that's the best use of our time 
and money, compared to alternatives with which people may be more 
familiar, and for which it may be cheaper and more reliable to let the 
system's vendor do the support work.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
Please consider the environment before reading this e-mail. https://jl.ly

---

From: Jay Daley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 09:12:25 +1200

> On 11/09/2020, at 5:26 AM, Mallory Knodel <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Wondering if it would be interesting or possible to experiment instead with Mattermost and those bridges/add ons?

Two things:

- The Tools Team are planning to introduce Matrix and Zulip test instances so that people can see how they function.

	https://codimd.ietf.org/tools-team-20200908 <https://codimd.ietf.org/tools-team-20200908>

- Your point about bridging is an interesting one.  In the discussion on the slack #chat-tools channel the question has been raised (by me) as to whether it makes sense for the IETF to have single groupchat system given how much some people/organisations are embedding different systems, or whether the IETF should host and authoritative set of channels that are bridged into by multiple systems.  The expert advice is that the latter is impractical.

Jay

> 
> Also, is Slack being used between meetings as well-- eg now? Interested in how something like a chat forum might be alleviating larger issues of isolation, and not necessarily just standard setting, during this time.
> 
> -Mallory
> 
> -- 
> Mallory Knodel
> _______________________________________________
> Manycouches mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manycouches
> 

-- 
Jay Daley
IETF Executive Director
[email-masked]

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2020 09:20:38 +0200

Le 10/09/2020 à 22:02, John Levine a écrit :
> The IETF Slack is modestly active most days.

other tools: meetecho 'prova' test site is not connecting - because 
security issues.

https://gce.conf.meetecho.com/conference/?group=prova

old gather.town of IETF 108 is not connecting either, also because 
security problems.

https://ietf.gather.town/z6N2SDxHebMdDAfo/IETF-108

Alex

  See the #chat-tools