Subject: [Manycouches] American Scientist: Why Do Virtual Meetings Feel So Weird?

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 09:52:36 -0500

https://www.americanscientist.org/article/why-do-virtual-meetings-feel-so-weird
I think that this is open access, but I can't see if I'm logged in or not.

BY ELIZABETH L KEATING
Even as online meetings become more common, they can’t always capture the
nuances of nonverbal communication and in-person interactions.

some teasers:
...
"Like many people today, Jeremy and Costa depended on email to send documents
and to critique and assign tasks. They had weekly conference calls—both audio
calls to discuss action items and video calls to review and make changes on
the model they were creating."

...
"It turned out that a big contributor to frustration and having to do things
over again was the loss of two forms of knowledge critical to any team and to
any interaction: nonverbal communication and peripheral participation. Most
people hardly give a thought to these kinds of communication—they have only
recently become hot topics of investigation in online work worlds."

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        |    IoT architect   [
]     [email-masked]  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 09:23:41 -0600

On Fri, Mar 12, 2021 at 8:52 AM Michael Richardson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> I don't understand this last paragraph, they are saying that people no
longer do nonverbal communication  (email) and peripheral participation
(what is that?)

Behcet

> _______________________________________________
> Manycouches mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manycouches
>

---

From: Dave Lawrence <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2021 11:08:24 -0500

Behcet Sarikaya writes:
> I don't understand this last paragraph, they are saying that people no longer
> do nonverbal communication  (email) 

For nonverbal participation they don't simply mean written, but all of
the different forms of social communication that happen when people
are together, such as body language.

> and peripheral participation (what is that?)

"[N]ewcomers become members of a community initially by participating
in simple and low-risk tasks that are nonetheless productive and
necessary and further the goals of the community. Through peripheral
activities, novices become acquainted with the tasks, vocabulary, and
organizing principles of the community's practitioners."

That's from
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legitimate_peripheral_participation