Subject: Re: [Manycouches] Time Zone Selection [was: Re: New Version Notification for draft-kuehlewind-shmoo-online-meeting-01.txt]

From: Martin Duke <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 07:36:00 -0700

Hi Fred,

Fred,

Personally, I think the issue of when in-person meetings start (1 through
106) is completely orthogonal to when remote meetings start. In-person
meetings are definitely not in scope for this draft.

Given that many and perhaps most of meetings before 107 were “hybrid” in
the sense that there were both local and remote attendees, and we expect
the same to be true in the future, I’m not sure how they would be
orthogonal. If we’re only talking about IETF 111, whatever. But I fully
expect future meetings to continue to be hybrid.

*[MD] the charter for shmoo is to figure out how fully online meetings
should work, so that's what this draft addresses. It does not make any
attempt to establish norms around in-person meetings or "hybrid" meetings
(as you point out, all meetings have been hybrid).*

I will note that
https://github.com/mirjak/draft-shmoo-online-meeting/issues/7 is
specifcally about whether we start mid-day or in the morning of the region
to which a remote meeting is attributed, and the existing text in the draft
defines how to determine that attribution. Mirja and I, who I guess is who
you mean by "folks setting the agenda", actually mildly disagree on this
point in the issue, so I don't understand the basis for your statement.

The proposed schedules I have seen suggest neither starting mid- morning
nor at noon. They seem to start after lunch, allowing people to sleep in.
Maybe I’m wrong in that.

*[MD] I'm not sure how you're getting that from the link. The original
proposal is indeed after lunch in the "local" time zone. The issue proposes
a morning start in the local zone.*

If "other voices" think it should be in the morning then they should
support the sentiment in the issue. Instead, the reaction has been "this
doesn't matter, we're going back to in-person anyway" (in which case,
you're on the wrong mailing list)

Maybe I’m on the wrong mailing list. What would you recommend?

*[MD] While this working group is not chartered to do anything about
in-person or "hybrid" hybrid meetings, manycouches is probably as good as
anywhere else. But the draft we're discussing has nothing to do with either
of these.*