Subject: [Manycouches] Meetecho automation for jabber scribe

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 18:32:50 +0200

One thing coming to mind from discussions and this weeks IETF
and that should be in scope for the SHMOO type meeting improvements
is subject. Its primarily triggered by the great improvment
in meetecho with the uploadd slides. Alas: No good deed is left
unpunished, so here i am asking for more:

The main job of a full jabber scribe has been to announce what
slide is being shown "now showing deck XYZ", "slide 5" ... "slide 7"
likewise, a jabber scribe might say who is now speaking on the microphone.

When we use pre-loaded slides in meetecho, all these standard
and IMHO quite tedious to do for a human jabber messages can easily
be generated automatically from meetecho:

- Meetecho knows the shared slide deck, so it can eject 
  messages with title AND presenter to the chat channel whenever a 
  slide deck is started to be shared and stopped to be shared

- Likewise, meetecho can also generate message with the slide number

- And of course, meetecho can generate a message telling who is speaking.

Which leaves the question if this is useful / hurtfull, and so why.

a) We still allow participation solely via live audio channel
and without having to perform a "declaration of bancruptcy"
or however else someone may perceive the process to get a waiver
from registration fees. Such audio-only participants need this
info. Yes, we have very few such participants now, but arguably
this could be because this type of participation is so difficult
because of the absence of this good tracking of what happens
in jabber.

b) When watching replays on youtube, one can also look at a the
jabber log, bit it is almost impossible to correlate messages on
the chat channel with what is going on in the session.

Example: which slide was shown when there was a
comment made about the slide in the chat ? Yes, it would require
additional timed playout of the jabber channel to go along with
the video to fully benefit from it, but thats a job for another
time.

c) As much fun as many of us have with side discussions on the
chat, the messages frm such a scribe-bot might also help to
reign in the discussions a bit more and have them focus on
the ongoing slot in the WG.

I will leave discussions about how to better handle questions
from the chat channel to the "room" for another mail thread
This just leaves requests to forward questions to the audio
channel, and that is easily done by any helpfull monitor
of the chat channel.

The only counter-argument for this automation to me seems that
participants in the chat channel who are on meetecho might
find this unnecessary interruptions. If you are on a
good jabber client, it is easy to ignore/filter messages
from the scribe-bot, and when yo use meetecho, there could
equally be a simple button to filter messages from the bot.

If this is of any interest and writing it up as an input
draft to shmoo, let me know, and i'll do.

Cheers
    Toerless

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 20:47:56 -0400

> the chat channel with what is going on in the session.

The youtube video does not capture the speaker box.
So watching the video, if they speaker does not turn on their video, one has
no idea who is talking.

If the video could capture a line or two of the chat, and it announced who
was speaking, then that would solve the problem.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2021 14:15:02 -0700

I think this is a good suggestion, and worthy of an I-D. 

The question I would ask is - why jabber? I would expect to find this in the chat (at least optionally), which might use the jabber protocol, but is not tied to it as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPad

> On Jul 30, 2021, at 9:33 AM, Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Manycouches mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manycouches