Subject: [Manycouches] We are not alone

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2021 15:28:41 +1200

"(Re)Configuring Hybrid Meetings: Moving from User-Centered Design to Meeting-Centered Design"

That's quite a mouthful, and you can find the whole article at https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1007/s10606-020-09385-x.pdf (an open access article).

If you look at the article's list of references, you will see that there is a lot of pre-existing research on this topic, and I have no doubt that there will be much more published in the near future. There is a long-established journal in this area, which seems to be moving towards open access: https://www.springer.com/journal/10606

The same Google search produced this:
American Sociological Association: About the Virtual Annual Meeting
https://www.asanet.org/annual-meeting-2021/about-virtual-annual-meeting
so the sociologists themselves are in the game.

I believe there is a lot to learn from others' experience. Of course, we need to translate that learning into our own framework.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 18:08:12 +0200

Indeed we are not alone, thanks for the refs to publications.  I will 
look at them.

But I would like to say, that I feel and I reason, that at this time, 
with respect to covid, people actually do whatever they please at a 
particular moment.  Even people who set rules do not respect them.  And 
then too, there are also those who observe rules that are not even defined.

When trying to design for hybrid meetings, the most important hurdle 
currently is that of seeing so many events going live with in-person 
meetings (I keep my personal list of conferences, project meetings and 
fairs).  If that tendency continues, then for March 2022 there is no 
need of any form of hybridness - it will all be in-person.  So why 
designing hybrid meetings.

What might happen though, is that this covid again strikes back with a 
new (5th?) wave, at which point we start again to think hybrid meetings.

But this succession of events: every 2 or 3 months we tend to think it's 
over, then again it appears, then again it is over - is not enough time 
to think about planning for special meetings.  There would be a need of 
a constant conviction (i.e. 12months stability) that things absolutely 
need hybrid meetings.

For my part I am divided between this potential optimism that things 
will settle soon, and this fear of a 5th wave.

It has been like this since it all started.

Alex

Le 07/09/2021 à 05:28, Brian E Carpenter a écrit :
> _______________________________________________
> Manycouches mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manycouches