Subject: Re: [Manycouches] about spread evaluation post-meeting

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 22:35:17 +0100

Le 12/12/2021 à 21:21, Andrew Campling a écrit :
> --On Saturday, December 11, 2021 22:53 John C Klensin 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> (4) Finally and perhaps most important, in what way would you see 
>> such an evaluation as being actionable?   As has been discussed 
>> several times before, things change quickly.  "Things" include 
>> virus variants, perceived surges, national and local regulations, 
>> population vaccination percentage, and so on.  If an evaluation 
>> concludes that one meeting either resulted in few infections or 
>> many, what would that tell us about decisions we should make about
>>  the next meeting or the meeting after that?
> 
> I think this is an important point.  In terms of any in-person 
> meeting in the near future, there are reasonable precautions that can
> be taken such as looking at the spacing of seats, ventilation, use of
> masks, easy access to testing etc.  Going much beyond that into, for
> example, post-event testing or speculating about future surges, seems
> to stray beyond the core competencies of the IETF.  I'd prefer to see
> energies focused on helping to define the best possible hybrid
> meeting experience.

I can agree with leveraging more on the core competency at IETF but
there is something here.

Probably _none_ of these covid-related precautions - neither
the reasonable, nor the stray-beyond - represent any IETF competency in
normal times: to meet in-person to develop best possible trust to make
Internet better.

It might be considered that during these special times a new IETF
competency could be developped to facilitate going back to the
normal-times competency.

Alex

> Andrew