Subject: [Manycouches] California Vaccine Record

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 09:52:17 -0800

This is https://myvaccinerecord.cdph.ca.gov

I have been looking around for European views on the California QR Code, and asking about US access to the European record. I carry such a code in the wallet in my phone and can show it to whomever asks. However, I am not convinced that anyone in Europe can verify the QR Code, which is probably necessary for them to accept it as valid. 

Note that I am not accusing anyone of negligence here. I presume that this will all become clear once I enter Austria, but (since I don't know), I am concerned that it may become clear that the code I carry is not accepted and I have no means to fix the situation. If it is not accepted, what do I do instead?

So: is the California QR code accepted? If not, what is required?

---

From: Alexandre Petrescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 23:16:14 +0100

Le 18/01/2022 à 18:52, Fred Baker a écrit :
> I have been looking around for European views on the California QR 
> Code, and asking about US access to the European record. I carry
> such a code in the wallet in my phone and can show it to whomever
> asks. However, I am not convinced that anyone in Europe can verify
> the QR Code, which is probably necessary for them to accept it as
> valid.
> 
> Note that I am not accusing anyone of negligence here. I presume
> that this will all become clear once I enter Austria, but (since I
> don't know), I am concerned that it may become clear that the code I
> carry is not accepted and I have no means to fix the situation. If it
> is not accepted, what do I do instead?
> 
> So: is the California QR code accepted?

I think we are priviledged to hold this conversation.

The local worries I see is that the entire notion of QR code in Europe
changes as we speak.  If in recent months there was relatively agreed
common way forward with these QR codes, nowadays each country goes
differently.  If it continues this way at this speed, these EU QR codes
might become moot very soon.

If before one could dream of interoperable apps that would scan all QR
codes in the world, now it is not anymore any plan for that.

For the particular case that you raise, I think one can try the
following: try to download the app 'TousAntiCovid Verif' from google on
a smartphone.  Ignore the warnings about who has the right to use it.
Try to scan the California QR code.  I am almost sure it will not scan,
in the sense it will issue some form of aighyç^"&yç"__yyyt^.  IT will
not complain with a syntax error, or security error, but will display
garbage.

IF one wants to use rather a PC or MAC to scan a EU QR Code then there
are these URLs that might help to try scanning; but know that those
people who are authorized to scan dont use PCs or MACs, but smartphones.

https://ehealth.vyncke.org/index.php       (ok on IPv6, from AD)
https://certificat-covid.gov.ro/check-dcc  (ok on IPv6, with security check)
https://app.digitalcovidcertchecker.gov.ie/ (only on IPv4, with security
check)
(there are more)

> If not, what is required?

BAsically, one should wonder first what is the name of the vaccine that
is in that QR code and the date.  The name in California is most likely
one of Pfizer, Moderna or J&J.

Then comes the long question of the date of last vaccine.  Hopefully you
have that date and its number (2nd, 3rd, 4th, but there are no 5th doses
administered up to now as far as I know).

With these two things at hand (name of vaccine and date of last dose,
and its number '2' or '3, etc) go to the algorithm in the URL
https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry-regulations

Know that this Austria algorithm is hard to udnerstand at times.  Also,
my personal oppinion is that it is outdated right now.

The end results might be the following:
- dont do anything, just travel.
- or get a booster before travelling.
- or get a PCR and a booster before travelling.
- or dont travel because what Austrians might want you to do upon
arrival is to get a booster there that might be incompatible in terms of
date and time and vaccine name might be contrary to what CDC might
recommend (e.g. get J&J in November then get Pfizer booster in Austria
in March might not be acceptable for CDC because of the 4 month being
too short).

It depends how you interpret the algorithm and what is the input data.

I am not a medical person, but I do recommend to think health first.

Alex

> _______________________________________________ Manycouches mailing 
> list [email-masked] 
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manycouches