Subject: [marf] Protocol Action: 'An Extensible Format for Email Feedback Reports' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 10:02:30 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'An Extensible Format for Email Feedback Reports '
   <draft-ietf-marf-base-06.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Messaging Abuse Reporting Format Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Alexey Melnikov and Peter Saint-Andre.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-marf-base-06.txt

Technical Summary

  This document defines an extensible format and MIME type that may be
  used by network operators to report feedback about received email to
  other parties.  This format is intended as a machine-readable
  replacement for various existing report formats currently used in
  Internet email.

Working Group Summary

  The majority of development of this specification took place outside
  of the IETF between 2005 and 2007, resulting in a de facto standard
  with many large-scale implementations.  The recent work within the
  MARF Working Group has resulted in a more precise document, and has
  revealed some items for discussion in future documents.

Document Quality

  The Working Group is aware of more than a dozen generators of reports
  which follow this specification, and hundreds of consumers of those
  reports.  These include most of the largest mailbox providers and email
  service providers, and many smaller operators.  Many of the WG members
  are also implementors, and many additional implementers who are not
  currently WG  participants have reviewed this document and/or earlier
  revisions.

Personnel

   J.D. Falk is the Document Shepherd.
   Alexey Melnikov is the Responsible Area Director.

RFC Editor Note

 In Appendix B (and subsections), please change the version number in
 all "Version: 0.1" fields to be "1"