Subject: A spammer subscribed to this list ?

From: Michel Bouissou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 19:29:26 +0200

Hi there,

Interestingly enough, I have just received a "Nigerian Scam" sent to an 
address of my domain which actually isn't an existing address, but a 
Message-ID of a message I posted to this list (and only to this list) on 
July, 29.

Interestingly, this Message-ID does not display on the IETF-mxcomp web 
archive, so it hasn't been harvested from there. This is the concerned 
message:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg02895.html

Which means that either a spammer is subscribed to this list and harvests 
adresses from mails sent thru this list, or that, one way or the other, a 
spammer put its hands on this message that I had sent here, full headers 
included (as the "address" was gotten from there).

Here are the full headers of the Nigerian Scam I just received:

Note the Received... for.

<<<<<
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:45:40 +0100
From: "VINCENT ANSU" <[email-masked]>
Subject: URGENT TRANSFER!!!!
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: undisclosed-recipients:;

-- 
Michel Bouissou <[email-masked]> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E

---

From: Pete Resnick <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 10:47:02 -0700

On 8/2/04 at 7:29 PM +0200, Michel Bouissou wrote:

>Interestingly, this Message-ID does not display on the IETF-mxcomp web archive

But it does appear in the downloadable archive at: 
<http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/entire-arch.txt>. I doubt there's a 
subscribed spammer.
-- 
Pete Resnick <http://www.qualcomm.com/~presnick/>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102

---

From: Michel Bouissou <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:14:29 +0200

Le lundi 2 Août 2004 19:47, Pete Resnick a écrit :
> > archive
> <http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/entire-arch.txt>.

Interesting to know.

> I doubt there's a subscribed spammer.

Well, the fact remains interesting, whether the spammer got this "address" by 
receiving it directly in a message from this list, or by retrieving the 
downloadable text archive...

It's also interesting noticing that the web archive takes care of masking 
e-mail addresses certainly for avoiding them being captured by spammers, and 
on the other hand, one can get from the same place the complete text archive 
in one single file, with complete headers of all messages, and without any 
masking of the addresses inside it...

Rather paradoxal.