Subject: RE: In favour of Sender ID

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 09:09:12 -0500

Due to our very clear rules concerning obtaining and maintaining
licenses on installed software, until terms and our liabilities in the
license (current or revised) are made legally crystal clear, as much as
I personally would like to deploy, I will be unable to do so.

 As far as the comments made by Mr.Shelness (btw. Thank you very much
for wading in) is there anything that the group can do to correlate
dates of published ideas (I am assuming that by emailing this public
group it can be a legally protected idea) with IP claims made by MS?

Regards, 
Damon Sauer 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Yakov Shafranovich
Sent: Saturday, August 28, 2004 9:02 PM
To: Paul Iadonisi
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: In favour of Sender ID

Paul Iadonisi wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-08-28 at 14:21, Roy Badami wrote:
> 
>>Even if Sender ID is incompatible with the GPL [2] -- and I'm
>>skeptical that it is except under the most extreme interpretations --
> 
> 
>   And we have yet to see a convincing legal argument (or *any* legal
> argument) from an attorney posted to this list.  I'd like to know what
> Anne Mitchell (on this list) thinks of her legal analysis being called
> extreme by a non-lawyer.
> 

The main point here is whether the current IPR issue can delay 
deployment. The mere fact that several lawyers have stated their expert 
opinion that this license is incompatible with existing open source 
licenses, can cause deployment problems. However, it is important to 
note how people react to their statements. We have already seen several 
parties including myself stating that they will not implement Sender-ID 
in their products unless the legal terms are changed, or the legal 
situtation is clarified. We also saw several parties, including Roy, 
state that they are willing to implement it even with the current legal 
situation intact. Therefore, it seems to me that there exists a sizable 
percentage of the possible market for this standard that will hesistate 
to deploy Sender-ID. This, we have a deployment problem. Whether the 
underlying facts that cause it are true, might not be relevant, since we

care about what people will do.

Yakov

*****
The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 113