Subject: some other questions/comments

From: Daniel Quinlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:53:56 -0700

These didn't make my cut for last call comments.

- US-ASCII requirement: internationalized DNS?

- If Verisign starts doing wildcard DNS again, does that have an impact
  on any of the mechanisms described in Sender-ID?  I can think of one:

  "... -exists:%{ir}.bl.somednsbl.org ~all"

  If Verisign redeploys wildcard DNS and somednsbl.org goes down (even
  temporarily!), then there are going to be more failures than there
  would have been without wildcard DNS.

  There may be others.

- It seems like it would be good to have more flexible exp modifiers.
  First, there are multiple reasons why a FAIL might happen, so I think
  exp: should be neither global nor singular.  Second, I can't think of
  any reason to also not allow exp: for all other results, even
  including PASS, although that would require additional syntax.

Daniel

-- 
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 08:48:14 +0200

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 04:53:56PM -0700,
 Daniel Quinlan <[email-masked]> wrote 

> - US-ASCII requirement: internationalized DNS?

You mean IDN, RFC 3490? I've understood that you're supposed to use
Punycode (RFC 3492) on the Right-Hand Side of the Sender-ID record,
for instance, when -protocol says:

>   For either type, the character content of the record is encoded as
>   US-ASCII.

You can have:

mx:xn--caf-dma.gennic.net

and then you get the MX of café.gennic.net (warning: composed
Latin character in the domain name).