Subject: marid-submitter-02: Which SUBMITTER value?

From: Hadmut Danisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 09:50:15 -0700

Hi,

more questions about the SUBMITTER extension.

Where does it come from?
How does it find it's way to the recipient?

The draft only describes the SMTP protocol details. 

But how does the sending MTA know what's the value of 
the parameter, and when to use it?

Is it to be given by the injecting MUA? If so, how? 
Optional parameter to /usr/sbin/sendmail ?

My first guess would be this: 
MTA knows which domains it is authorized to be sender of 
(either by configuration or querying MARID records for it's own IP
addresses). If there is a message to transmit which does not have a 
sender address the MTA is authorized to use, then some default value
(set by configuration) would have to be used. 

Is that what it is supposed to be? Even if so, the draft lacks a
statement and precise description.

regards
Hadmut