Subject: AOL's stance on SenderID and IPR issues

From: Carl Hutzler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:46:08 -0400

Someone on the list asked me to post AOL's thoughts on the IPR/SenderID
thread...

Our internal patent lawyer has reviewed the license agreement and said that
he found no IP issues and we are free to pursue a license to use it in our
infrastructure.

The only issues I have seen on the lists likely do not apply to AOL:

A) Sendmail redistrubutes/sells software - AOL does not sell MTAs other than
perhaps netscape iplanet. But I am not closely related to that team.

B) Some have complained about the nuisance of applying for a license for
every "small organization" and potential costs of that. Folks really want a
GPL. While I understand this, AOL is not in this category and likely would
not see licensing this technology as an undue burden.

That's the scoop from AOL land :-)

-Carl

-- 
Carl Hutzler
Director, AntiSpam Operations
America Online Mail Operations
[email-masked]
703.265.5521 work
703.915.6862 cell