Subject: [DEPLOY] Exim and Sender-id

From: Philip Hazel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:15:34 +0100 (BST)

As the author of Exim, I have been asked to post to this list on this 
subject (I am not subscribed to this list; if you want me to see any 
response, please cc me). I have been told that

> On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 08:01:16PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> > It will not be possible for me to implement Sender ID in Courier.  Courier
> > is licensed under the GPL.  The FSF already flatly stated that Microsoft's
> > IP license is not GPL compatible.  I reviewed the most recent version of
> > Microsoft's proposed IP license, and I've reached the same conclusion. For
> > this reason Sender ID cannot be implemented in Courier; Courier's
> > implementation will be limited to the unencumbered SPF-classic.

I have not reviewed the proposed licence, but I am prepared to take the 
word of the FSF, Sam, and others who have reached the same conclusion.

Exim is licenced under the GPL. As the proposed Microsoft IP licence is 
not GPL compatible, Sender ID cannot be implemented in Exim. 

Unemcumbered SPF-classic functionality has, I am told, already been made 
to work in Exim by appropriate configuration settings.

Philip

-- 
Philip Hazel            University of Cambridge Computing Service,
[email-masked]      Cambridge, England. Phone: +44 1223 334714.