Subject: Re: [martini] Help (the Reader's Digest Guide to MARTINI)

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:52:02 -0800

WARNING: contains banned part

Subject: Re: Help (the Reader's Digest Guide to MARTINI)
From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:52:02 -0800

Eric Burger said:

"I am having trouble understanding what the issues are in the proposed
draft. I am seeing a lot of list traffic about "this is broken" and "that is
broken." However, I do not get what "this" or "that" is. Can anyone help me
on this? "

[BA] At MARTINI Virtual Interim I, there was considerable discussion of the
Problem Statement document
(http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kaplan-martini-mixing-problems ), which
details a number of issues encountered with current solutions.  For slides
and minutes, see: http://aboba.drizzlehosting.com/MARTINI/Jan-Interim/

Since then, there has been discussion of solution requirements, with the
most recent thread starting from the following message:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00253.html

Also, there has been a discussion of how the potential solutions stack up
against problems, including within the following thread:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00255.html

Since we have set some time aside on the MARTINI Virtual Interim II agenda
to discuss requirements, I am hoping we will be to get into these issues in
more detail tomorrow. 

In terms of additional understanding of the problem, additional
issues/concerns have also been brought up within some of the following
messages:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00225.html

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00227.html

We have set some time aside on the agenda for invited talks, so I'm hoping
we will be able to get into a more detailed discussion of these concerns as
well. 

With respect to routing, there has been some discussion of use of DNS SRV
RRs and their relation to being "authoritative" for a domain (and whether
this is really germane to MARTINI or not):

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00210.html