Subject: [martini] Re-targeting, domain ownership and routing

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 14:13:11 -0800

Adam Roach said:

"each of the 4 approaches I mentioned has serious flaws with it. And without
nailing down which one people think they're talking about (and I think
various people are talking about different things), then I don't think we
can come to agreement on how we can address these flaws."

[BA]  Getting to the bottom of this seems like an important step to me, so
I've created a separate thread for the discussion.   

In particular, in two other messages, Adam has posed clarifying questions
whose answers seem important.  Can we focus on those for  a bit? 

1.       Referring to David's flow diagrams (see
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00182.html ) Adam
Roach said:

"David:

I think you've represented my concerns accurately below. I still think that
Keith is advocating Flow-1. 

Keith: can you clarify your position?

"

2.       Also, in another message
(http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00196.html ), Adam
Roach said:

"Given the context of what has been discussed so far, what you say here is
too vague for me to figure out whether it is correct. When you say "the
domain associated with the SIP PBX," do you mean:

1.	A domain that doesn't exist in a domain name registry anywhere
2.	A domain that, while properly registered with a domain name
registry, does not exist in DNS 
3.	A domain that exists in the global DNS, and which routes to the SSP
if someone applies 3263 procedures
4.	A domain that exists in the global DNS, and which routes to the PBX
if someone applies 3263 procedures 

[Lindsay, Brian]  More than one of these might be possible, but I was
basically referring to the principle illustrated in David's "Flow-2" in the
following post from last week:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00166.html

In that message, Flow-2 is very ambiguous with regards to the relationship
between "pbx1.sp.com" and DNS. Are there any DNS records that point to
"pbx1.sp.com?" If so, where do they resolve? The PBX itself? And, if they
*do* point to the PBX, why can't the SP just apply normal 3263 rules?"