Subject: [martini] Possible additional requirement - identity assertions - consensus call

From: "Elwell, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:15:43 +0100

A short while ago, Bruno proposed the following requirement, which is not in reqs-01 (because I didn't feel there was any consensus).

"An edge proxy shall be able to base identity assertions for outbound (non-REGISTER) requests received from a PBX on whether the identity concerned has been registered." 

Please indicate whether you would like to see such a requirement.

John (as editor)

---

From: "Brian Lindsay" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 09:18:16 -0500

Hi John,

   I think this should be left out as a general requirement.

   The discussion on this one suggested a difference in handling
identity assertion between a "registration" mode of operation for SIP
PBXs, and the mode of operation where SIP PBXs do not register but
static IP address assignment or DNS/RFC3263 is used. In general, I would
think equivalent handling should be provided in both cases, and we
should not define a general requirement that would only work in one
context.

  There was also this post suggesting this is not needed in general:

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/martini/current/msg00814.html

   Now it is recognized that IMS does this with P-AU to support their
P-CSCFs requirements, so it can be a part of specific architectures. I
think this becomes a question of ongoing monitoring of this work to mame
sure that the mechanism could ultimately be compatible with IMS for
example (this is perhaps not the only example).

   Regards
      Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Elwell, John
Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 3:16 AM
To: MARTINI
Subject: [martini] Possible additional requirement - identity assertions
- consensus call

A short while ago, Bruno proposed the following requirement, which is
not in reqs-01 (because I didn't feel there was any consensus).

"An edge proxy shall be able to base identity assertions for outbound
(non-REGISTER) requests received from a PBX on whether the identity
concerned has been registered." 

John (as editor)
_______________________________________________
martini mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/martini

---

From: Christer Holmberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 17:50:05 +0100

Hi,

I agree that it should be possible for edge proxies to do that.

However, do we really need to talk about edge proxies/middleboxes in the requirements?

Couldn't the requirement be more generic, and just talk about sending the information that shall be sent? Then, as an example, we could mention the edge proxy identity assertion use-case.

Regards,

Christer

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Elwell, John
Sent: 22. helmikuuta 2010 10:16
To: MARTINI
Subject: [martini] Possible additional requirement - identity assertions - consensus call

John (as editor)