Subject: Re: [martini] Question on registration requirements

From: "DOLLY, MARTIN C (ATTLABS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 13:23:24 -0500

Dean, What are you thinking

________________________________

From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]> 
To: MARTINI <[email-masked]> 
Sent: Tue Feb 09 13:19:09 2010
Subject: Re: [martini] Question on registration requirements 

In other words, you propose to do away with "implicit" registration?  I do not think that is desirable.
 
I expect that a PBX will register its parent AOR and when it sees the 200 OK will imply registration for all associated DID number endpoints, such that calls from those numbers will be processed by the SSP.  If credentials for the parent fail, then the SSP (and PBX) would not consider it, nor any of the associated DID numbers, registered.
 
-Jack

>>> Dean Willis <[email-masked]> 2/9/2010 11:08 >>>

A PBX is registering with an SSP expects the REGISTER transaction to  
result in a number of bindings between "phone number" AORs and the  
PBX's Contact.

Do we expect that the response to the REGISTER request will indicate  
whether these bindings have in fact been produced, or do we expect it  
to convey no such information and instead rely on the PBX to execute a  
re-event subscription and thereby learn what happened?

Historical use of REGISTER is consistent with the first approach; if  
the REGISTER request fails its authorization or authentication, it  
gets rejected.

I propose a model:

A PBX explicitly indicates which phone numbers it is binding in the  
REGISTER request. If SSP determines that PBX is not authorized for one  
or more of those phone numbers, it returns a 403 request letting the  
PBX know that the registration has failed. This at least lets us  
detect a configuration mismatch very early on.

If a registration is later retracted by SSP, then we can either use  
reg-event to inform PBX, or simply reject further re-registrations  
made by PBX.

--
Dean
_______________________________________________
martini mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/martini

-------------------------------------------------------- 
The information transmitted in this email and any of its attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain Cablevision proprietary information, which is privileged, confidential, or subject to copyright belonging to Cablevision. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete and destroy the communication and all of the attachments you have received and all copies thereof. 
--------------------------------------------------------