Subject: [martini] #26: Domain routing limitations

From: "martini issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 00:27:07 -0000

#26: Domain routing limitations
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  jon.peterson@…             |       Owner:  john.elwell@…          
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new                    
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:  milestone1             
Component:  reqs                       |     Version:  1.0                    
 Severity:  In WG Last Call            |    Keywords:                         
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 From the IETF 77 meeting minutes:

 Jon Peterson: It would be useful to explain somewhere why support of
 private numbers wasn’t included as a requirement.
 John Elwell: The issue is that if we open it up to support AOR forms
 beyond E.164 numbers, then we have to support domain routing. And domain
 routing has issues such as ambiguity of ownership, say when an enterprise
 user AOR has the domain of the SSP. These issues can be bypassed if we
 limit AORs to E.164-only, since E.164 numbers are globally unique and
 therefore routing is unambiguous.
 Jon Peterson: That information should be explicitly documented then.
 Bernard Aboba: Where do we add that text? Req’s doc or GIN draft?
 Jon Peterson: It should be documented in the requirements doc. Add
 something about domain routing concerns. (Agreed**)

-- 
Ticket URL: <https://wiki.tools.ietf.org/wg/martini/trac/ticket/26>
martini <http://tools.ietf.org/martini/>

---

From: "martini issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2010 00:28:48 -0000

Comment(by bernard_aboba@…):

 Keith Drage: E.164 numbers can be carried either in a Tel URI or a SIP URI
 containing a Tel URI. In the case of SIP URI there is still a domain name,
 so how does that avoid the problem you raised?
 Gonzalo Camarillo: The requirements document needs to be explicit – when
 referring to E.164 numbers are we talking about Tel or SIP URIs?
 (Agreed**)

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/martini/trac/ticket/26#comment:1>
martini <http://tools.ietf.org/martini/>