Subject: [martini] #41: What happens to a "presence" Subscription for an E.164 AoR?

From: "martini issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 20:32:57 -0000

#41: What happens to a "presence" Subscription for an E.164 AoR?
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Reporter:  hkaplan@…               |       Owner:            
     Type:  enhancement             |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  minor                   |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  gin                     |     Version:  1.0       
 Severity:  Active WG Document      |    Keywords:            
------------------------------------+---------------------------------------
 Does a SUBSCRIBE for the "presence" package targeted to
 "sip:[email-masked]" get contact-routed to the IP-PBX, or processed by
 the SSP's presence servers?

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/martini/trac/ticket/41>
martini <http://tools.ietf.org/martini/>

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 16:25:25 -0500

> #41: What happens to a "presence" Subscription for an E.164 AoR?

Given that non-gin implementations have alternately chosen to handle 
presence in servers or at the endpoint, I would argue that this question 
verges on metaphysical.

SIP presence in general leaves this open to network policy. I think 
that's still the correct answer here.

/a

---

From: Martien Huysmans <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:22:20 +0200

Adam

Are you saying that the current martini-gin draft supports an architecture
where for sip:[email-masked] the presence server resides at the SSP and 
where the IPPBX would provide voice services?

/Martien

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Adam Roach
Sent: Monday, May 03, 2010 11:25 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [martini] #41: What happens to a "presence" Subscription for an E.164 AoR?

On 5/3/10 3:32 PM, martini issue tracker wrote:
> ------------------------------------+---------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+------
>   Reporter:  hkaplan@...               |       Owner:
> ------------------------------------+---------------------------------
> ------------------------------------+------

Given that non-gin implementations have alternately chosen to handle presence in servers or at the endpoint, I would argue that this question verges on metaphysical.

SIP presence in general leaves this open to network policy. I think that's still the correct answer here.

/a
_______________________________________________
martini mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/martini

---

From: Adam Roach <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 08:10:13 -0500

> where the IPPBX would provide voice services?

It certainly does. It also supports one in which the presence server 
resides at the PBX. This also true for voicemail, and pretty much any 
other service typically provided in the network.

To be clear, GIN is agnostic on these topics, just like normal 
registrations are. It is doing nothing additional to facilitate this 
functionality.

/a