Subject: [martini] #59: Reg-Event Issues

From: "martini issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 04:59:30 -0000

#59: Reg-Event Issues
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 Reporter:  D.Hancock@…              |       Owner:  adam@…          
     Type:  defect                   |      Status:  new             
 Priority:  major                    |   Milestone:  milestone1      
Component:  gin                      |     Version:  1.0             
 Severity:  In WG Last Call          |    Keywords:                  
-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------
 These issues all have to do with subscribing to reg-event.

 --------------------------------------------------------------
 Issue-1:
 Section 7.7.2 says...
    If the SSP receives a SUBSCRIBE request for the registration event
    package with a Request-URI that indicates a contact registered via
    the "Bulk Number Contact" mechanism defined in this document, then
    the SSP MUST proxy that SUBSCRIBE to the SIP-PBX in the same way that
    is would proxy an INVITE bound for that AOR, unless the SSP has and
    can maintain a copy of complete, accurate, and up-to-date information
    from the SIP-PBX (e.g., through an active back-end subscription).

 How does the SSP handle the SUBSCRIBE to reg-event for an enterprise user
 when the SIP-PBX isn't registered? My understanding of RFC3680 is that if
 the target user of a reg-event SUBSCRIBE isn't registered, then the reg-
 event subscriber receives a NOTIFY indicating "user not registered". The
 subscribe dialog remains active, and if/when the target user subsequently
 registers, the reg-event subscriber receives another NOTIFY containing the
 registration data. Would this same process be followed when the reg-event
 subscription is to an AOR owned by the SIP-PBX, and if yes, how does the
 SSP make that happen?

 --------------------------------------------------------------

 Issue-2: How does a SIP-PBX that doesn't have SIP endpoints respond to a
 SUBSCRIBE to reg-event (say, SIP-PBX supports only analog or H.323 lines)?
 I assume it should create fake registration data is if the target AOR were
 registered to a SIP endpoint. Does that need to be stated?

 --------------------------------------------------------------

 Issue-3:
 Section 5.2 says...
    A further implication of this property is that an individual extension
    that is implicitly registered may also be explicitly registered using
    a normal, non-bulk registration (subject to SSP policy).  If such a
    registration exists, it is refreshed independently of the bulk
    registration, and is not removed when the bulk registration is
    removed.

 I assume this means that an enterprise user AOR can be bound to two
 (multiple) contact addresses; one bulk-registered by the PBX, and a second
 explicitly registered by a SIP endpoint directly hosted by the SSP
 network.

 Section 6 of the draft goes on to say that SUBSCRIBE requests to reg-event
 are handled just like INVITE requests, which means that if the target AOR
 has multiple contacts, the SUBSCRIBE request is forked. This seems like a
 problem, since RFC3680 disallows forking (RFC3680 section 4.9).

-- 
Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/martini/trac/ticket/59>
martini <http://tools.ietf.org/martini/>