Subject: Re: [martini] Call for Consensus: Support for Public GRUUs (calling for service provider input)

From: "Bernard Aboba" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 20:02:11 -0700

Richard Shockey said:

"-1 

This statement disturbs me 

"unless GRUU is mandated in GIN (or any solution to the MARTINI problem, for
that matter), the chances of GRUU deployment are vanishingly small"

I don't understand this argument .. so GRUU's have not deployed for well
known reasons so we want to shove them down the throats of implementers and
use MARTINI as the mechanism? "

[BA] This is one of a number of questions on which we could use more SSP
input.  

If there are any SSPs who have an opinion on this issue (and who are at
least considering implementing GIN), it would be nice to hear from them. 

In general, if the goal of the IETF is to "make the Internet work better",
this goal cannot be met creating a standard that only PBX vendors (but not
SSPs) implement.   Such a standard could actually be less useful than the
"implicit registration" variants we have today which are implemented by SSPs
but not PBXes, because at least SBCs can be used to "fix" those.