Subject: [martini] gin #66 (new): Abtract and Section 1

From: "martini issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 06:17:22 -0000

#66: Abtract and Section 1

 Looking over the text in GIN-10,  there are two places where the
 requirements for proper functioning are addressed:

 One is the abstract:

    This document defines a mechanism by which a SIP server acting as a
    traditional Private Branch Exchange (SIP-PBX) can register with a SIP
    Service Provider (SSP) to receive phone calls for UAs designated by
    phone numbers.  In order to function properly, this mechanism relies
    on the fact that the phone numbers are fully qualified and globally
    unique.

 The other is in Section 1, whose last paragraph states:

    In recognition of the momentum that REGISTER-based approaches have
    seen in deployments, this document defines a REGISTER-based approach
    that is tailored to E.164-addressed UAs in a SIP-PBX environment.  It
    does not address registration of SIP URIs in which the user portion
    is not an E.164 number.

 As noted in the Olive document, proper functioning is not restricted to
 E.164 numbers, although the requirements are satisfied by AORs expressed
 as E.164 numbers, since they are fully qualified and globally unique.

 My suggestion would be to clarify what the actual requirement
 is, and why E.164 numbers satisfy that requirement.

 For example, the abstract could be modified as follows:

    This document defines a mechanism by which a SIP server acting as a
    traditional Private Branch Exchange (SIP-PBX) can register with a SIP
    Service Provider (SSP) to receive phone calls for UAs. In order to
    function properly, this mechanism requires that each of the AORs
    registered in bulk map to a unique set of contacts.  This requirement
 is
    satisfied by AORs representing phone numbers regardless of the domain,
    since phone numbers are fully qualified and globally unique.  This
    document therefore focuses on this use case.

 The text in Section 1 could be changed to the following:

    In recognition of the momentum that REGISTER-based approaches have
    seen in deployments, this document defines a REGISTER-based approach.
    Since E.164-addressed UAs are very common today in SIP-PBX
    environments, and since SIP URIs in which the user portion is an
    E.164 number are always globally unique regardless of the domain,
    this document focuses on registration of SIP URIs in
    which the user portion is an E.164 number.

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  bernard_aboba@…            |       Owner:            
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new       
 Priority:  minor                      |   Milestone:  milestone1
Component:  gin                        |     Version:  1.0       
 Severity:  Submitted WG Document      |    Keywords:            
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://svn.tools.ietf.org/wg/martini/trac/ticket/66>
martini <http://tools.ietf.org/martini/>