Subject: [Masque] Updated version of draft-kuehlewind-masque-connect-ip

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2021 17:33:05 +0000

Hi,

We have updated our Connect-IP proposal to now use HTTP datagrams. This
document now supports both a tunnel mode for full IP packets, as well
as a flow forwarding mode. We also could use the context ID as a way of
efficiently provide a solution of how to provide ICMP in flow
forwarding mode. In this excersie in attempting to use HTTP datagrams
we have some feedback and thngs we want to discuss we will send these
to the mailing list before the meeting. 

Feedback as usual is highly appreciated. 

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

Name:           draft-kuehlewind-masque-connect-ip
Revision:       01
Title:          The CONNECT-IP HTTP method for proxying IP traffic
Document date:  2021-07-12
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          18
URL:            
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-kuehlewind-masque-connect-ip-01.txt
Status:         
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuehlewind-masque-connect-ip/
Html:           
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-kuehlewind-masque-connect-ip-01.html
Htmlized:       
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kuehlewind-masque-connect-ip
Diff:           
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kuehlewind-masque-connect-ip-01

Abstract:
   This draft specifies a new HTTP method CONNECT-IP to proxy IP
   traffic.  CONNECT-IP uses HTTP/3 Datagrams to use QUIC Datagrams for
   efficient transport of proxied IP packets, with the possibility to
   fallback to HTTP/3 over reliable QUIC streams, or even HTTP 1.x and
   2.

   CONNECT-IP supports two modes: a tunneling mode where IP packets are
   forwarded without modifications and flow forwarding mode which
   supports optimization for individual IP flows forwarded to the
   targeted peer.  To request tunneling or flow forwarding, a client
   connects to a proxy server by initiating a HTTP/3 connection and
   sends a CONNECT-IP request which either indicates the address of the
   proxy or the target peer.  The proxy then forwards payload received
   on that stream or in an HTTP datagram with a certain stream ID.