Subject: [Masque] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping-00.txt

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 14:22:20 -0400

Hi MASQUE,

This is a tiny new draft related to the MTU problems that have come up
recently.  The draft defines a very simple building block that works
entirely within the current HTTP Datagram system.  I believe it is
sufficient to enable IPv6 MTU compliance in MASQUE, and might also be
applicable to other HTTP Datagram use cases.

--Ben Schwartz

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 2:16 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for
draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping-00.txt
To: Benjamin Schwartz <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping-00.txt
has been successfully submitted by Benjamin Schwartz and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping
Revision:       00
Title:          HTTP Datagram PING
Document date:  2021-09-21
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          4
URL:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping-00.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping/
Html:
https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping-00.html
Htmlized:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-schwartz-masque-h3-datagram-ping

Abstract:
   This draft defines an HTTP Datagram Format Type for measuring the
   functionality of a Datagram path.

Discussion Venues

   This note is to be removed before publishing as an RFC.

   Discussion of this document takes place on the mailing list
   ([email-masked]), which is archived at
   https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/masque/.

   Source for this draft and an issue tracker can be found at
   https://github.com/bemasc/h3-datagram-ping.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Alex Chernyakhovsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 14:28:57 -0400

Hi Ben,

Thanks for writing this! Am I correct in understanding that one performs
PMTUD by varying the size of the "Opaque Data", and the discovered MTU is
the sizeof(Sequence Number) + sizeof(Opaque Data)?

Sincerely,
-Alex

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 2:22 PM Ben Schwartz <bemasc=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> --
> Masque mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/masque
>

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 14:33:58 -0400

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021 at 2:29 PM Alex Chernyakhovsky <achernya=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> PMTUD by varying the size of the "Opaque Data",
>

Correct.

> and the discovered MTU is the sizeof(Sequence Number) + sizeof(Opaque
> Data)?
>

Almost.  The Context ID is variable-length, so the accounting has to
include it too in order to predict the MTU of a different Context.