Subject: Re: mboned: Please comment (in the event you didn't see this)

From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:26:49 -0800

>>>> On Wed, 7 Jan 2004, David Meyer wrote:
>>>> > >> Done Submit I-D on debugging multicast problems.
>>
>>	Debugging handbook.
>>
>>>> I do not see any RFC on this?  Did this get anywhere?  This could be 
>>>> rather useful work...
>>>> 
>>>> > >> Done Submit final version of scoped address discovery protocol (SADP)
>>>> 
>>>> I don't see RFC on this, but maybe it isn't even necessary :-)
>>
>>	We had a I-D, but it timed out (years ago), as it was
>>	not deemed useful

It was hard to make it useful, and more importantly, it was a document
that changed almost weekly.

-Kevin
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:36:16 -0800

>> that changed almost weekly.

	Yep.

	Dave

---

From: Beau Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:38:38 -0600

>that changed almost weekly.

If you are talking about SADP, I'm curious as to why it isn't useful. This 
seems almost exactly what we need to solve some of the problems we are 
having now regarding applications like Norton Ghost and others that need a 
light-weight address discovery protocol.

Now I admit there's still some work to be done to make this work but I'm 
not sure we want to abandon the basic idea of using a well-known, 
Scope-Relative address [SADP-RELATIVE?] to either:

1) Periodically Announce a service

2) Request the address of a service (ala the SADP spec).

3) or both

As far as I can see, the biggest problem is that we don't really have MZAP 
support in any products and that results in a lack of an ability to 
determine what the actual SADP Scope Relative addresses are.  I think we 
can get around that with an extension to RFC 2365 that "fixes" the 
Site-Local and Organization--Local range so that these two scopes/zones are 
well-known.

Beau