Subject: mboned: Time for IANA allocations in admin scoped block?

From: John Kristoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 08:49:41 -0500

A new, newly discovered to us at least, application using an assigned
group address in the Internetwork Control Block (224.0.1.0/24) is going
to require us to add another scoping, PIM and MSDP filter in order to
prevent the application from spewing between our AS and others.

RFC 3171 states in 9.1. that 'no IANA assigment policy is required' for
the 239/8 block, but I wonder if that should be revised.  If there was
a well-known or registered sub allocation in the admin scoped block it
would be useful for many of the popular enterprise multicast applications
to get and use perhaps by default an assignment there.  It would also
perhaps curtail the occasional whack-a-mole filtering that crops up
every so often.

Would revising this allocation policy interest any others?

John
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: John Kristoff <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:23:11 -0500

On Wed, 5 May 2004 08:49:41 -0500

> prevent the application from spewing between our AS and others.

Sorry I meant to say 224.1.0.0/24 block.  The IP in question being the
only one registered to dantz (it's used for backup services in our
experience with a the default TTL of 1, but some people have had to
ratched that up).  Nonetheless, a registered space in the admin scope
question remains.

John