Subject: Re: mboned: Country level Admin scope

From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 06:20:48 -0700

Well, there is another problem rearing its ugly head again...  
high-bandwidth multicast (e.g. HDTV streams) are becoming a reality.
And yet, some of us don't want to turn multicast off alltogether on 
wireless links, etc.

Any suggestions since we are talking about scoping?  Maybe we can
embed the expected bandwidth into the IPv6 address.  :-)

-Kevin

>>[email-masked] said:
>>> Did I miss some thing or do we need to "update" RFC 2365 with a new
>>> admin scope range which can be limited to a given country? (Maybe
>>> encode  in the address range the telephone country code ?).
>>
>>surely in reality this is not achievable.   The way networks
>>are installed and interconnected, it is surely close to impossible
>>to guarentee to achieve this.  Imagine a company that builds
>>a network using its allocated IP addresses, but where that network
>>perhaps uses leased lines and so covers computers within many
>>countries.   I don't see how you could enforce things
>>so as to guarentee that the "Belgium radio channels"
>>do not leak out into another country...
>>
>>Dave Price
>>
>>_______________________________________________________________
>>user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
>>web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/
>>
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 07:39:21 -0700 (PDT)

wouldn't it be easier to embed the bandwidth in the sdp file or other oob 
source discovery mechanism and let the clients deal with that. after all 
I'm currently free to request a 500Kb/s unicast udp stream over my 256K 
dsl connection and what I get is packet loss. 

If your point was that large shared collision domain networks have bad 
scaling properties with regard to multicast I'll certianly agree to that. 
It's a little ironic that Steve Deering's goal in multicast was to 
replicate the functionality of shared media over the internet and that 
now we've come full circle.

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       [email-masked]    
GPG Key Fingerprint:     5C6E 0104 BAF0 40B0 5BD3 C38B F000 35AB B67F 56B2