Subject: mboned: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-mboned-addrarch-00.txt (fwd)

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 07:24:19 +0300 (EEST)

FYI --

There was discussion about this at the last meeting.  I'd love to have
comments, also in more general (i.e.,, what should be the right place
to discuss issues which go beyond the addressing such as "multicast
routing BCPs", and address discovery/rendezvous..

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:39:08 -0400
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-savola-mboned-addrarch-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Overview of the Internet Multicast Addressing Architecture
	Author(s)	: P. Savola
	Filename	: draft-savola-mboned-addrarch-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2004-9-16
	
The lack of up-to-date documentation on IP multicast address
   allocation and assignment procedures has caused a great deal of
   confusion.  To clarify the situation, this memo describes the
   allocation and assignment techniques and mechanisms currently (as of
   this writing) in use

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-addrarch-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-savola-mboned-addrarch-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-savola-mboned-addrarch-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: "M-K. Shin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 16:58:56 -0400

Hi, Pekka,

I have two comments :

1) [RFC 3307] should be added as Normative references,
     Allocation Guidelines for IPv6 Multicast Addresses.
     Also, as for the IPv6 multicast addresses,
     your draft shoud describe the differences with
     recommendations/guidelines of [RFC 3307].

2) I'd like to suggest to add some table or summary section for differences betwwen
    IPv6 and IPv4 multicast addressing architecture,
    (maybe sec 5)
    since a lot of old documents readers were confused with IPv4 methods
    and IPv6 methods (e.g, on GLOP, unicast-prefix-based, etc.).

Thanks,
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Myung-Ki Shin, Ph.D.| [email-masked]
ETRI/NIST           | 820 West Diamond Avenue
                    | Gaithersburg, MD 20899