Subject: mboned: BoF: New draft and ML for well managed IP multicasting issues

From: Hiroshi Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:42:36 +0900

Hi,

I would like to inform you that we are preparing a new BoF.  I 
encourage you to join the discussion.  We prepared an I-D on 
requirements to well managed IP multicasting services and set 
up a mailing list to discuss this issue.

It is essential for IP multicasting function to have accounting 
capabilities so that network operator can grasp user activities 
(i.e., Join/Leave) when one wants to provide services which 
include payments (e.g., between user and a service provider, 
between a content provider and a network operator, etc.).  
Another case we need accounting function for multicasting is 
where one want to grasp who received what information (and 
when) such as distance learning.  Unfortunately, there is no 
appropriate WG to discuss this issue.  We got a suggestion from 
ADs to try a BoF because it is an important problem although no 
WG fits now.

The draft is: <draft-hayashi-maccnt-00.txt>
The mailing list is: <[email-masked]>

Have a look and join the mailing list if you are interested.

To join the mailing list, just send a blank mail to 
<[email-masked]> and reply to the 
confirmation mail you will receive.  Please note that the 
confirmation message indicates to reply to a different address 
from the one the 'reply' command generates.  Please do not 
worry and just reply using 'reply' command.

Our intention toward the next IETF meeting (IETF-61) in 
Washington D.C. is to have a BoF session on this issue.  Within 
the BoF (and hopefully within the subsequent WG), we will 
discuss and clarify the requirements first, and then discuss 
and find out a good solution for it.  I would appreciate your 
feedbacks.

Best regards,

Hiroshi

----------------------------------------
Hiroshi OHTA
NTT Network Service Systems Laboratories
Tel: +81 422 59 3617
Fax: +81 422 37 8519
E-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/