Subject: mboned: question:not the right layer?

From: Marc Manthey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 22:55:25 +0100

hy everybody,

Imho and as i am able to understand the discussion below is that
because of a lack of  improvements in ICMPv6 or similar layer 3 
protocols,
for example. Internet Control Message Protocol for IPv6
<http://www.networksorcery.com/enp/protocol/icmpv6.htm>
<snip>
...
148 Certification Path Solicitation.
149 Certification Path Advertisement.
</snip>

the last 2 steps are necessary for any commercial exeption?

did i understand that right?

greetings

aim://macfreak2004

>>>> IGMP / MLD does not provide accounting
>>>>
>>>> Network cannot identify or authenticate or authorize users or keep
>>>> track of usage

what can be a solution for this ? encryption? ,hashes the tracking 
could  not  be  the
complicated part ? or i am wrong?

>>>> Haixiang He : Layer 2 authentication is not good enough as the link
>>>> account provider and the  content provider  may not be the same 
>>>> party.

whats does he mean exactly?

>>>> Dave Thaler : If you are talking about end to end then I can agree
>>>> that this is necessary. You might want to remove the IGMP and MLD
>>>> from this discussion.

remove?

>>>> Dan Alveraz: MBONED needs to support different business models for
>>>> multicast. I want the MBONED group to be a repository for all
>>>> multicast work. I want to evolve this into a framework and
>>>> requirements document

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/