Subject: mboned: I-D on overview of multicast routing

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 11:58:33 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

There was some support at IETF61 for creating a similar document as 
the "multicast address architecture", but about multicast routing.

I've submitted a short I-D on this, but as it wasn't published 
yesteday yet, here it is:

http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/draft-savola-mboned-routingarch-00.txt

Abstract
    The lack of up-to-date documentation on IP multicast routing
    protocols and procedures has caused a great deal of confusion.  To
    clarify the situation, this memo describes the routing protocols and
    techniques currently (as of this writing) in use.
[....]
    This memo deals with:

    o  distributing multicast topology information (Section 2.1),
    o  learning active sources (Section 2.2),
    o  setting up multicast forwarding state (Section 2.3),
    o  configuring the multicast network elements (Section 2.4),
    o  interacting with hosts (Section 2.5), and
    o  restricting the multicast flooding in the link layer (Section
       2.6).

Comments are welcome, of course.  In particular, I'd be interested in 
hearing if folks think this should be merged in the same document with 
the addressing architecture.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/