Subject: mboned: revised I-D on overview of multicast routing

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 11:57:54 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

The multicast routing I-D has been revised.  The secretariat has 
messed up the publishing slightly, so for now it's only available at:

http://www.netcore.fi/pekkas/ietf/draft-savola-mboned-routingarch-01.txt

I'll try to get that fixed.  There are two issues which I'd in 
particular like to get comments from bidir-PIM experts:

2.1.3  Bidirectional PIM

    Bidirectional-PIM [I-D.ietf-pim-bidir] aims to offer streamlined
    PIM-SM operation, without data-driven events and data-encapsulation,
    inside a PIM-SM domain.  The usage of bidir-PIM may be on the
    increase especially inside sites leveraging multicast.

    As of this writing, it cannot be applied in Inter-domain multicast or
    for Embedded-RP.  XXX: explain why not, someone send text? (one
    paragraph please!).

2.5.3  Bidirectional PIM

    Bidirectional PIM (see Section 2.1.3) was designed with faster
    multicast convergence in mind, and if fast failover is required, it
    may seem like an attractive solution.

    XXX: someone want to send a bit more text about the convergence
    differences wrt PIM-SM?

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/