Subject: mboned: draft-jdurand-all-drs-are-rps-00 comments

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2005 17:24:30 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

I think this is an idea worth exploring, especially if issue 2) below could
be addressed somehow.  If it can't.. I guess the result won't be much better
than manual config of the multicast address?

substantial
-----------

A couple of main issues which came up:

  1) There should be an "Operational considerations" section describing the
differences in managing a few RPs in a domain vs all the DRs being their own
RPs.  I don't think this is a showstopper, but it bears to be discussed.

  2) the important point IMHO is how the session creator verifies that the DR
which was involuntarily picked as the RP is in fact willing to provide the
RP behaviour.  At least if this is to be done automatically, there should be
a mechanism for the hosts to figure out whether this approach works or not
(and if not, it would not hurt to learn the reason why not.)

  3) for multiple router case it would be nice if manual config was not
necessary, but the routers could discover the presence automatically somehow
-- or at least be able to send/log a warning that manual config will be
needed (e.g., if the router is not a DR [or has multiple neighbors]
on a link which someone is using to form a multicast prefix,
log a warning message?)

editorial
---------

    Nevertheless, the problem remains of announcing the RP to group
    creators so that they can build multicast addresses derived from the
    RP.

==> more specifically, announcing the RP _address_.

    If we take the example of a group creator on a link where the prefix
    3FFE:FFFF:1:5::/64 is advertised. When this host wants to start a

==> better use 2001:DB8:1:5::/64, that's reserved for documentation?

5.  Open issues / Discussions

==> a lot old junk here, please clean up the references :)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/