Subject: mboned: updated multicast AAA draft

From: Hiroaki Satou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 19:58:33 +0900

Hello

Since the last IETF session we have updated two drafts:

1) In April we updated I-D "Accounting, Authentication and Authorization 
Issues in Well Managed IP Multicasting Services"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-00.txt

2) and last week we updated the companion draft, I-D "Issues Related to 
Receiver Access Control in the Current Multicast Protocols"
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-rac-issues-00.txt

Primarily we removed redundancies between the drafts by consolidating 
requirements in draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-00.txt.

A few specific changes/additions to draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-00.txt
which we would like to hilite and receive feedback about are:

---------------------------------
4(2) We rearranged a number of points under a larger category of "Issue of 
network resource protection." And added subsections 4.2.2 and 4.2.3 about 
bandwidth control for the physical port of the edge router or the links 
between routers and between content servers and multicast routers

---------------------------------
4(6) We add a section "Notification to users of the result of the join request"

      It should be possible to provide information to the user about the
      status of his/her join request(granted/denied/other).

   <note this will likely need more elaboration>

---------------------------------
4(12)  Small impact on the existing products
We added a paragraph stating that there should not be an impact on "triple 
play" services

      Impact on the existing products (e.g., protocols, software, etc.)
      should be as minimal as possible.

      Ideally the NSP should be able to use the same infrastructure (such
      as access control) to support commercial multicast services for the
      so called "triple play" services: voice (VoIP), video, and
      broadband Internet access services.

---------------------------------
4(13) We added this section "Deployable as alternative to Unicast"

      IP Multicasting would ideally be available as an alternative to IP
      unicasting when the "on-demand" nature of unicasting is not
      required. Therefore interfaces to multicasting should allow for
      easy integration into CDS systems that support unicasting.
      Especially equivalent interfaces for authorization, access control
      and accounting capabilities should be provided.

---------------------------------

We would appreciate any input and feedback about these two drafts (either 
about the above
points or otherwise)

Thank you 

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/