Subject: mboned: Automated Tunnels for IP Multicast

From: Venketesan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 01:31:08 -0400

Hi all,
I am bringing to your notice an automated tunneling protocol for IP 
multicast called IMcast Tunneling Protocol or ITP. It has been 
designed to address one of
main deployment problem with IP multicast i.e. tunneling. Following is 
a brief of the protocol:

ITP, when deployed at the border routers of multicast aware islands, 
enables their implicit connectivity to other such islands that are 
separated by a unicast network. The tunnel configurations are created 
and torn down as per the dynamic group memberships of the hosts within 
the islands. As more IP multicast aware islands with ITP border 
routers are commissioned in between a certain existing inter domain 
connectivity, the multicast awareness of the new domains is 
incorporated to optimize the number of packet copies transported. It 
is not a pure end-to-end connectivity scheme between the islands but 
enables progressive deployment for IP multicast. To the best of our 
knowledge no tunneling scheme has this property. The message 
propagation is through reverse shortest path which is more efficient 
compared to the MBONE. Bottle necks have also been avoided. Being 
operational at the network layer the packet processing complexity is 
lesser and switching faster compared to the transport layer tunneling.
The ability of ITP to transparently exchange multicast packets has 
been validated and demonstrated with a working prototype in INFOCOM 
2005, by means of a video conference between nodes in Miami and 
chicago. The implementation was done in Linux kernel space.
Hosts in IP multicast/ITP unaware domains can install ITP stack and 
enable their multicast connectivity across the Internet.

For more details and related papers, please visit 
www.iit.edu/~venkthi1/imcast1.html

I would greatly appreciate your feedback and would be glad to address 
any queries.

Regards,
Venkat   
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/