Subject: Re: mboned: brief IMAD BOF summary

From: "Jeremy Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 09:25:59 -0400

If you make a directory of SSM, you are indeed drifting away from msdp
and relying on some static application to do its work.  If we thought
MSDP deployment was bad, wait until we require some directory (I.E. sdr)
to make it going.  Does sdr work yet?

_J

>>> Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]> 8/9/2005 8:41:03 PM >>>
>> Mark Handley, Dino, and I were talking after the meeting and we all
>> had the idea that AMT could provide a transition mechanism for SSM.

    Tom, agree about the conversation, but I think the more serious
problem
    is getting IGMPv2 hosts to play in an SSM core. Upgrading the
routers is
    the easier change IMO.

    So I'm not sure AMT is right for this problem. I do believe AMT is
right
    for getting more wide-area multicast going so then people will
later feel
    more compelled to put multicast natively in more parts of the
network.

>> an IPv4 network. It was mentioned at the meeting that maybe we
>> should concentrate on IPv6 multicast instead of IPv4 multicast. If
>> so, then it could intially be tunneled until it can be run native.

    Right. If we concentrate on IPv6 multicast the multicast address
allocation
    problem pretty much goes away.

Dino
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: Dino Farinacci <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 17:32:04 -0700

>> to make it going.  Does sdr work yet?

    Well this is not mutually exclusive. You can use a app-level directory
    (or DNS) for SSM only channels and still run ASM with MSDP. I actually
    think it's inevitable because there will be apps that want the "group
    communication without source signalling" model.

Dino