Subject: mboned: Multicast Detective

From: "Kevin C. Almeroth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 13:19:29 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, this is a pre-release of some code we put together to
test local multicast capability...  basically it runs 8 tests:

   1. Joins the NLAR Multicast Beacon Group 232.64.133.120, port 10002
   2. Joins the SSM Video Group 233.4.200.19, 63.105.122.29 port 8020
   3. Checks if the first-hop router is multicast capabile
   4. Checks if the first-hop router is SSM capable
   5. Detects if there is IGMPv2 capability to the first-hop router
   6. Detects if there is IGMPv3 capability to the first-hop router
   7. Detects if the first-hop router supports PIM-SM
   8. Detects if the first-hop router knows about an RP

And let's you know the results.

We've got source code on the web page, and an executable for Win32.
Working on an executable for linux...

Web page is at:  http://www.nmsl.cs.ucsb.edu/mcast_detective/

Right now, we're looking for feedback...

-Kevin

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:43:05 +0300 (EEST)

>   7. Detects if the first-hop router supports PIM-SM

(I didn't run the tool, just gave a look at the source.)

These are apparently done simply by pinging 224.0.0.2, 224.0.0.22 and 
224.0.0.13, respectively.

This doesn't seem to work when the DR is Juniper, because it doesn't 
answer to pings on those addresses.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: Beau Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 13:42:35 -0500

>    2. Joins the SSM Video Group 233.4.200.19, 63.105.122.29 port 8020

Are those addresses correct?  The SSM range is 232/8, not 233/8.  Maybe you 
reversed the addresses.

Beau