Subject: mboned: maccnt-req -- RSVP-like requirements

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:12:14 +0200 (EET)

Hi,

Here's something else for you folks to chew on, now that some folks 
have started reading the maccnt-req document:

There seem to be several requirements for which there haven't been 
widely adopted solutions for unicast either, maybe because there are 
other alternatives to solve these problems well enough or for other 
reasons.  (See a couple of quotes below.)

So, personally I'm skeptical whether (and if so, how) some of these 
requirements will be filled in the eventual solution.  But as the doc 
implies unicast deployment issues (i.e., RSVP) I don't consider this 
as a blocking issue.

Btw, the doc seems to have 3 nits -- see:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mboned/draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req/draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-03.nits.txt

======8<=========
      (2) Issue of network resource protection

      In order to guarantee certain QoS it is important for network
      providers to be able to protect their network resources from being
      wasted, (either maliciously or accidentally).

      For comparisons sake, in the case of unicast this issue can be
      resolved e.g. by using RSVP.

...

      (2.3) Control mechanism of number of groups delivered from a
           physical port of edge router and switch

      If an NSP desires to guarantee a certain level of QoS to CP and the
      receivers, it is necessary that the NSP be able to control the
      number of groups delivered from a physical port of an edge router
      and a switch so that the combined bandwidth between content servers
      and multicast routers can be within the limit.

      For comparisons sake, in the case of unicast this issue can be
      resolved e.g. by using RSVP. 
====8<===========

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/