Subject: mboned: Looking for candidates for (co-)chairing mboned

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 21:34:39 -0800

Dave Meyer has indicated that he would like to step down as
chairperson from the mboned working group.

As mentioned earlier, we plan on taking a nomination based approach to
find a new chairpeople.

The ADs have written down a brief profile for the WG chair(s). We
would like you to consider this profile and either nominate yourself
or other people that you think that would fit well in this role by
sending mail to the OPS ADs: <[email-masked]
<[email-masked]>. 

It would be very useful, but not required, if you indicate in your
mail why you believe that you (or somebody) is a good candidate for
this role and you can perhaps provide us with some other relevant
information in the form of a short bio/resume.

We do not intend to disclose the names of the nominees in public, but
we will probably solicit feedback with various other people. If you
have a problem with your name being mentioned in this context, please
let us know.

Note that this profile is written for a somewhat ideal candidate(s).
We fully realize that such people are probably non-existent, so don't
hesitate to nominate somebody who in your opinion would fit this role
quite well but doesn't fit this profile 100%. The intent is to select
two co-chairs that can complement each other and work well together.

As for the profile:
 
- Good management and process skills, including but not limited to
  choosing and supervising editors, commitment and followthrough on
  the charter, active management of the working group discussions,
  and handling IETF process steps in prompt fashion.
  The Ops & Management area uses the proto document shepherding
  process for all working groups and the candidate needs to be willing
  to take on the extra work that this entails.
  (see: draft-ietf-proto-wgchair-doc-shepherding-05.txt)

- Good basic knowledge of Internet routing, and in particular multicast
  protocols.

- Understanding of the requirements/needs/applications of multicast
  protocols, including the requirements of more limited deployments in
  the enterprise or particular industries.

- Operational background/experience is very desirable and we believe
  that at least one of the chairpeople should be an operator in
  his/her dayjob (note that not just employees from ISPs are
  operators!)

- Enough available time and a commitment from an employer who supports
  spending time on this work. We have a preference for focussed people
  who don't already are a chairperson of a multiple other working
  groups or other timeconsuming roles in or outside IETF.
  
- There is no requirement that the candidate has been an IETF working
  group chair before, but it helps if there is some evidence that the
  candidate can fullfill such a role (eg. other management role in
  other places than IETF). We want to specifically encourage
  people to nominate people with an operator background even if they
  don't have a lot of IETF experience.

We would like to receive your comments & nominations by close of
business on Fri Feb 17 2006 (pick your own time zone ;-)) and we plan
to make a decision as soon as possible thereafter. It will be helpful
if you indicate in your nomination mail how you or the nominated
candidate fits this profile as best as possible.
 
And last but not least, we would like to thank Dave Meyer for his 
many years of service to this working group, and the Ops area in
general,
 
David Kessens & Bert Wijnen
---
_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/

---

From: David Meyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 07:28:21 -0800

Folks,

	If anyone is interested in what the workload is (was), or
	any other aspects of the MBONED chair position, I'd be
	glad to discuss it with you.

	Dave

---

From: David Kessens <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:15:45 -0800

For your information, the nomination period has been closed.
We have contacted all people who nominated somebody, or themselves.

Please let us know if you nominated somebody or yourself but was not
contacted by us.

Feel free to send us positive or negative feedback on possible
candidates, or the process itself.

Our intent is to make a decision as soon as possible and before the next
IETF meeting. However, we expect that we will need at least two weeks.

Thanks,