Subject: mboned: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mboned-rac-issues-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the MBONE Deployment Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Issues Related to Receiver Access Control in the Current Multicast Protocols
	Author(s)	: H. Ohta, et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mboned-rac-issues-03.txt
	Pages		: 24
	Date		: 2006-4-20
	
This memo evaluates the extent to which current multicasting 
protocols can be used to address common requirements for commercial, 
large-scale IP multicasting, but may be applicable to non-commercial 
deployments as well.  Four existing possible multicasting 
architectures (with or without some form of access or content 
control) are presented. Then each architecture is analyzed with 
respect to how it can or cannot satisfactorily address each issue.  
This memo concludes that for many of these issues the possible 
architectures based on present standards as they now exist require 
non-standardized solutions to meet common use requirements. This 
memo recommends for requirements to be defined that would set the 
groundwork for framework(s) and solutions that sufficiently address 
these limitations.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-rac-issues-03.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mboned-rac-issues-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-rac-issues-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Hiroaki Satou <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:12:07 +0900

Working Group,

"Issues Related to Receiver Access Control in the Current Multicast
Protocols" has been updated:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-rac-issues-03.txt

This version has a few minor changes relating to a comment we received
on the ML about the applicability to non-commercial environments.

Abstract
Add "may be applicable to non-commercial deployments as well."

Introduction
Add "Many of the issues discussed in this memo may be relevant to
non-commercial situations, as well."

Add Section 7
"Relevance to non-commercial deployments
While the impetus for this memo was to discuss issues related to the state
of current multicasting protocols deployed for commercial, large-scale
multicasting and their capabilities to provide receiver access control. Many
of the issues discussed in this memo are relevant to non-commercial
situations, as well. "

As this document has been stable for awhile and there seem to be no
objections from reviewers, if people are happy with the above changes
then we would like to ask that this be taken to WGLC as agreed to in Dallas.

Thanks
Hiroaki 

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/