Subject: mboned: Document Action: 'Multicast Source Discovery protocol MIB' to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:03:30 -0400

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Multicast Source Discovery protocol MIB '
   <draft-ietf-mboned-msdp-mib-01.txt> as an Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the MBONE Deployment Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Dan Romascanu and David Kessens.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-msdp-mib-01.txt

Technical Summary
 
 This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management Information
 Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
 community.  In particular, it describes managed objects used for
 managing Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP) (RFC 3618) speakers.
 
Working Group Summary
 
 The WG has consensus to publish this document as an Experimental RFC.
 There are existing implementations of this MIB module, which date back 
 several years, and so usage of IpAddress SYNTAX and DisplayString
 in this (experimental) MIB module is a conscious decision and acceptable 
 at experimental level. The implementations are specific for IPv4 and so
 is the MIB module.
 
Protocol Quality
 
 Quick check with MIB doctors list for this experiment was done.
 Bert Wijnen reviewed this document for the IESG.

Note to RFC Editor

- page 6, Section 3:

OLD: 
    the Source-Active Cache Table, containing the SA cache entries; and
NEW: 
    the Source-Active (SA) Cache Table, containing the SA cache entries; and
 
- bottom of page 6, change module name:

 OLD:
     DRAFT-MSDP-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN
 NEW:
     MSDP-MIB DEFINITIONS ::= BEGIN

- on page 8, in the DESCRIPTION clause of msdpCacheLifetime

 OLD: 
            This object does not measure time per se; instead, it is the
            delta from the time at which an SA message is received at
            which it should be expired if not refreshed.  (i.e., it is
            the value of msdpSACacheExpiryTime immediately after
            receiving an SA message applying to that row.)  As such,
            TimeInterval would be a more appropriate SYNTAX; it remains
            TimeTicks for backwards compatability."

 NEW:
            This object does not measure time per se; instead, it is the
            delta from the time at which an SA message is received at
            which it should be expired if not refreshed.  (i.e., it is
            the value of msdpSACacheExpiryTime immediately after
            receiving an SA message applying to that row.)  As such,
            TimeInterval would be a more appropriate SYNTAX; it remains
            TimeTicks for backwards compatibility."

- on page 9, DESCRIPTION clause of msdpRPAddress

OLD: 
            The RP address used when sourcing MSDP SA messages.  May be
            0.0.0.0 on non-RP's.

NEW: 
            The Rendezvous Point (RP) address used when sourcing MSDP SA 
            messages.  May be 0.0.0.0 on non-RP's.

- On page 10 at the bootom, replace:

  OLD:
   msdpRequestsStatus OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX     RowStatus
       MAX-ACCESS read-create
  NEW:
   msdpRequestsStatus OBJECT-TYPE
       SYNTAX     RowStatus { active(1), destroy(6) }
       MAX-ACCESS read-create

- on page 32 at the top, replace:

OLD: 
SNMPv1 by itself is not a secure environment.  Even if the network
itself is secure (for example by using IPSec), even then, there is no
control as to who on the secure network is allowed to access and GET/SET
(read/change/create/delete) the objects in this MIB.
NEW:
SNMPv1 by itself is not a secure environment.  Even if the network
itself is secure (for example by using IPsec), even then, there is no
control as to who on the secure network is allowed to access and GET/SET
(read/change/create/delete) the objects in this MIB.

IANA Note

Since this MIB is for an experimental protocol, it uses an experimental
OID.

Decimal   Name          Description                     References
-------   ----          -----------                     ----------
     92   MSDP-MIB     Multicast Source Discovery MIB     [Fenner]

The IANA is requested to change the Reference for this entry to point to
this document.

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/