Subject: mboned: suggestion for simplifying IGMPV3/MLDV2 to discard EXCLUDE mode

From: Hui Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 17:59:03 +0800

Hello, all

I'd like to suggest here the simplification of IGMPv3/MLDv2;

In IGMPV3/MLDv2, protocol filter-mode is defined to support SSM. In
practice, it seems EXCLUDE mode is not so useful, for there is little
requirement for excluding specific sources. Further, EXCLUDE can not
guarantee host not receiving unexpected traffic.

The realization of the EXCLUDE mode and corresponding mode-switch operation
are relatively complicated, especially when implementing L2/L3 LAN switch
with snooping. So it is suggested here to simplify IGMPV3/MLD2 to eliminate
the EXCLUDE mode. Then the process of router and host will be greatly
simplified. And the important thing is: For SSM, INCLUDE mode is enough to
express join for specific sources.

Glad to hear your opinions

Regards,

Hui   Liu

_______________________________________________________________
user interface: http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned.html
web archive:  http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~llynch/mboned/