Subject: [MBONED] addrarch: IANA allocations and assignments

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 13:30:47 +0200 (EET)

AD review: IANA allocations and assignments

1) The draft says that IANA should not make direct multicast address
    space allocations (big chunks) to operators and even direct
    assignments (e.g., applications) seem like land-grabbing.
    Justification for this recommendation did not seem to be suitably
    well established, and this seems just discussion, given that we
    presently do not make instructions for IANA (see issue 3).  Issues
    in particular:

   1.1) What is the IPv4 multicast allocation approach for
    those networks which will only have 4-byte AS numbers?
    (Expected to happen in a couple of years.) GLOP is no
    longer applicable.

    Possibilities include:
     - IANA handing out static allocations (again, strongly
       discouraged in Section 2.3),
     - IPv4 unicast-prefix -based allocation could be marketed
       as a potential solution in this space (would we need to revive
       this or is the option of reviving it in the future if there is
       interest good enough?),
     - no approach seems to be needed for this (given SSM and v6 methods),
     - something else?

   1.2) No evidence is presented that "land-grabbing" multicast assignments
    has been a problem.  It's true that there is still a lot of space
    in the "AD-HOC Block" (224.0.2.0 - 224.0.255.0).  Internetwork
    control block is almost full though, and should probably not be
    expanded too much.

    Is there something we should do here, e.g., make Internetwork
    control and local network blocks (224.0.1.0/24 and 224.0.0.0/24
    respectively) more difficult to get, tone down the AD-HOC block
    language, or what?

    Note that there is an expired draft that tried to do a bit of this,
    but it was never finished:
    http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mboned/draft-ietf-mboned-rfc3171bis/

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned