Subject: [MBONED] MVPN BCP

From: "Michael McBride \(mmcbride\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 16:02:18 -0800

Marshall, Hiroshi, WG:

In San Diego I requested that draft-ycai-mboned-mvpn-deploy-00 be
adopted as an Informational BCP. The question arose about the
appropriateness of this draft in mboned (vs l3vpn) since its charter
focuses on the "global Internet". The L3VPN WG, however, will not
support this BCP work because they have not yet converged on an MVPN
solution. So its back to MBONED (a BCP of a multicast solution seems
most appropriate in MBONED anyway). 

This BCP reflects a solution well deployed in the field for over 4
years. It describes a solution based on a previous L3VPN draft and there
are at least 3 implementations which interop based on that draft.
Operators are requiring (including the MVPN BCP co-authors) that we act
to standardize this solution/deployment option even as the broader L3VPN
framework, and other non mature solutions, are being worked out. The
MVPN MIB, MVPN Benchmarking and MVPN BCP have all been submitted for
adoption. 

What can/should we do in MBONED to prevent the L3VPN WG from further
delaying documentation of a well known and accepted solution while it
works on incomplete options? 

draft-ycai-mboned-mvpn-deploy needs a home.

thanks,
mike

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned