Subject: [MBONED] issues in draft-ietf-mboned-routingarch-07

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 10:53:07 +0300 (EEST)

Hello all,

As mentioned at the IETF68 meeting, David Kessens (former AD) made an 
AD review of draft-ietf-mboned-routingarch-07.

Below are the issues identified in the review and follow-up 
discussion in Prague.

Need discussion / decisions:

  1) BCP vs Informational.  This was discussed mostly between myself
     and David and wider input would be useful.  BCPs express wide IETF
     community consensus and reviews are conducted in more depth.
     Given that the document makes statements about the usefulness and
     applicability of a lot of protocols (also outside this WG), having
     broad consensus seems very important.  When the document is
     updated in the future (likely in this case), BCP number does not
     need to change.  On the other hand, informational is easier to
     achieve and can also go through IETF Last Call (though people will
     likely not review the document at the same detail).

     I'd like to ask the WG chairs and ADs to also consider this issue.

     As I personally have an opinion about this, I ask the WG
     chairs/ADs will decide after hearing input from WG which approach
     is to be taken.

  2) Document Obsoletes and reclassifies Historic 5 RFCs *).
     Obsoletes tag was used to create a forward reference in the RFC
     index.  However, as this specification doesn't "replace" the
     earlier RFC, it seems Obsoletes is maybe not appropriate.

     Unless there are comments indicating otherwise, I'm going to
     revise the draft to only reclassify the RFCs Historic, not
     Obsolete them.

Straightforward:

  3) Normative references to drafts.  Some of those are not required,
     and most are already in RFC-editor's queue.  Fixing these one way
     or the other should not be a problem and it should not cause delay
     for this document.

*) Border Gateway Multicast Protocol (BGMP), Core Based Trees (CBT),
    Multicast OSPF (MOSPF) RFCs: [RFC3913], [RFC2189], [RFC2201],
    [RFC1584], and [RFC1585].

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned