Subject: [MBONED] New Internet draft

From: Benoît HILT <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 17:09:44 +0200

Hello,

a new internet-draft is available in the IETF repository (http:// 
www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hilt-pim-tree-unreachability-00.txt).

Title : Join failure notification for PIM-SM multicast routing

Abstract

"Currently, PIM-SM is the most widely deployed multicast routing  
protocol in the Internet.  Nevertheless this multicast protocol lacks  
a simple connectivity debugging function, making it difficult to  
identify for example; -multicast routing problem, -source  
unavailability, -RP failure, etc...  When a host wants to receive a  
multicast group/channel, if for any reason the associated tree branch  
cannot be built or breaks down, nothing exists to inform the receiver  
or its network about this failure.
We propose here a new PIM message suitable for Join forwarding error  
notification.  It is able to inform where and why such an error  
happened in the network and this without using a multicast traceroute  
mechanism.  This message can then be used to reduce globally the  
impact of useless branches in a PIM domain.
Furthermore it could be used to block DDoS (Distributed Denial of  
Service) attacks.
After the presentation of a first version of this work at the 66th  
IETF meeting we have taken into account comments and suggestions and  
we would like to present this revised work in the PIM WG at the 69th  
IETF/Chicago meeting.
Before thas, we would like to get comments and engage discussion with  
the PIM and MBoned working groups in their mailing lists.

Differences between earlier version are;
	- the message is now called Tree Unreachability instead of Group  
Unreachability
to reflect more precisely its purpose,
	- the message is now presented as a new PIM/SM message,
	- in the current draft we make some attempts about how this new  
message could be used in a fully managed multicast domain.

Benoît HILT

Benoît HILT - Dépt. R&T
IUT de Colmar - BP 50568
F-68008 COLMAR Cedex
Tél./Fax. : +33 3 89 20 23 64/84
Mél : benoit.hilt @uha.fr/@calixo.net

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned