Subject: [MBONED] Site local addresses for MANET

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 09:42:28 -0400

I wonder if people have seen this :

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-iana-02.txt

The part that troubles me is the desire for a site local address in  
239 :

4.1.  Site-local Scoped Multicast Group for IPv4

    For IPv4, well-known, scope-relative multicast address (as  
defined by
    [RFC2365], Section 9) are used.  The offset for the scope relative
    address for scoped MANET Routers is TBD4 to appear in
    [IANAv4Multicast] registry.

    Different scopes are defined by [RFC2365].  The IPv4 Local Scope
    (239.255.0.0/16) is the minimal enclosing scope for administratively
    scoped multicast and not further divisible -- its exact extent is
    site dependent.

    For the IPv4 Local Scope, applying the rules of [RFC2365] and using
    the assigned offset of TDB4, the multicast address is therefore
    239.255.255.(255-TBD4).

At present, only one 239 "Site-Local" address has been assigned -  
rasadv by Dave Thaler,

  239.255.002.002

There has been concern expressed that IANA assigned addresses in 239  
might collide with existing
deployments using 239 local addresses. However, 239.255.2.2 is being  
used by Microsoft Windows, which
indicates to me that it should be OK to assign a Manet address up in  
239.255/16.

Comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I would also be  
interested if Dave Thaler or Dave
Meyer remembers why 239.255.2.2 was chosen, instead of something in  
239.255.1.X.

I would regard this as a test case - if there is consensus to move  
forward on this one, there will be more.

Regards
Marshall

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned