Subject: [MBONED] improvement suggestion on multicast

From: "GUO, Feng" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:02:19 +0800

Dear All,

   In most IPTV multicast deployments nowadays, all of the TV channels are
pushed to edge routers by configuring "igmp static join" command in edge
routers,i.e. all of (s,g)'s have the same forwarding tree. This will reduce
the delay in channel switching. A router, however, maintains separate
protocol-status and provides separate protocol-packets content for each
channel. This prolongs the route convergence, increases the status-space and
reduces the exchange rate of protocol-packets.

I got an idea to improve performance in those scenarios, please tell me your
comments about that? Thanks.

   It is to introduce (S,G/Mask) or (S/Mask,G/Mask) state in multicast
protocols in that deployment circumstances, i.e. the MFIB and protocol state
machine are (S,G/Mask) based instead of (S,G) based; and the same
modification for protocol packets, i.e. (S,G/Mask) JP instead of (S,G) JP,
which luckily PIM packets have the mask fields.

   This would be a simple and practical modification for multicast protocols
and implementation, and could improve the performance of IPTV services very
much. 

   Another useful situation is in the core network, even the IPTV channels
are not pushed to last hop routers, and they would be pushed to the converge
routers of core networks in many cases. It would be also good to introduce
the idea to core network deployments. 

   Eagerly hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Guo Feng

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned