Subject: [MBONED] draft-ietf-mboned-addrarch next steps?

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 16:22:36 +0300 (EEST)

Hi all,

(I'm reposting this on the ML and expanding it a bit as I didn't get 
response from the chairs.)

My take of the room at IETF68 wrt draft-ietf-mboned-addrarch was 
follows.  I'd like to get help in figuring out how to move forward 
with the draft.

Requires action (by someone else than the document editor):

1)  disposition wrt. IPv4 unicast-prefix-based and eGLOP was left
     unclear.  There was no time for eGLOP status report. (Though on
     05 April telechat, the IESG seemed to discuss EGLOP with IANA,
     with Ron Bonica left with an action point on this.)

     It would be useful to be able to point to an eGLOP policy that has
     at least been approved, preferably implemented.  How far are we
     from this event?  Do we know more about the schedule?

     Likewise for IPv4 unicast-prefix-based approach, though it's still
     in the IETF's (and this WG's) hands.  The main thing I took away
     from the meeting seemed to be that the editor needs to tune the
     language of who gets the multicast addresses ('subnet' versus the
     'prefix aggregate').  Is this going to move forward soon?

     Or should we just leave these empty and go forward right now
     as-is?

Seem to be clear enough unless there are objections:

2)  No change IANA policies at this stage.  RFC3171bis work may or may
     not happen independent of this document.

3)  Tim suggested some work on DHCPv6 based address assignment which
     had been brough to the MBONED WG a year or two ago, but hadn't
     gained much momentum.  The suggestion was to bring it up again, but
     not recommend it in the document as it's not currently implemented
     or deployed (and hence no BCP material).

4)  Spell out that 32-bit AS numbers do not have an equivalent GLOP
     solution.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned