Subject: [MBONED] igmp behaviour

From: vijayananda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 07:34:18 +0530

Hi All

          What should be the behavior of the igmpv3 router when v2 hosts
exist?

Should it send v3 query on the v2 host interface or v3 query?

If it sends v3 query query host will not be able to process it, as it
doesnot understans....

Regards

vijay

This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI,
which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed
above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including,
but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:33:47 +0900 (JST)

> Should it send v3 query on the v2 host interface or v3 query?

When the router finds non-upgraded hosts who cannot speak igmpv3, it
operates as a v2 router that sends v2 query.
If the non-upgraded hosts disapear from the LAN, the router gracefully
switch back to v3 mode.

See "7.3.2. In the Presence of Older Version Group Members" in rfc3376
for more detail.

> If it sends v3 query query host will not be able to process it, as it

In fact, the format of a v3 general query message is same of the one
of v2 general query. Only the message length is different. Hence the
non-upgraded hosts can recognize v3 general query as v2 general query
(and can respond it).
--
Hitoshi Asaeda

p.s. your Reply-To: field in your MUA sets wrong address.

---

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:33:47 +0900 (JST)