Subject: [MBONED] mboned: multicast/{SSM} URLs...

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2007 16:04:10 -0800

Ok, too lazy to do a more exhaustive search on my own. Hopefully
some folks here will have the right pointers:

Overall: what's the status of using multicast addresses in URLs ?

Like: is there any rfc/draft that even describes this ? From quickly
checking the URL RFCs i couldn't find the work multicast in any
of them.

I know that some applications support eg:
  
  udp://<ip-multicast-group-address/

but is that actually defined anywhere ?

I have seen VLC also support SSM, so maybe the full "best practice" ? URL
format is:

  udp://{<srcip>@}<group-ip>{:port}/

right ? Which apps (beyond VLC) are known to support SSM here ?

Any cases where there is support for

  a) more than one source IP address with SSM

     (if not, then what would be a good way do do it ?
      udp://<srcip1>,<srcip2>@... ??? (or other character than ',' ? )
  
  b) Use of this scheme with other protocols but udp (rtp ? ...) ?
     (if so, which app, protocols are known ?)
  
  c) any support for stuff behind the final slash ? 

  d) any example of how one would for example support a single URL for
     two media (audio, video) with two different port numbers (as usual
     with at least a bunch of tools... ?

Would there be a better working group but mboned if one ultimately wanted
to standardize on such formats ?

Thanks
    Toerless

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned