Subject: [MBONED] draft-williamson-mboned-madp-00.txt

From: Beau Williamson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:27:36 -0600

Fellow Mboned WG members,

Please take a look at this new draft and make comments.  We hope to 
discuss this at the Mboned WG meeting in Vancouver.

Beau Williamson

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title		: Light-weight Multicast Address Discovery Protocol
	Author(s)	: B. Williamson, et al.
	Filename	: draft-williamson-mboned-madp-00.txt
	Pages		: 15
	Date		: 2007-11-13
	
    Light-weight, multicast address discovery mechanisms that can be used
    by large scale client-server application deployments have been
    virtually non-existent in the past.  This has resulted in many
    multicast client-server applications being deployed with "hard-coded"
    multicast addresses within the client workstations in order to
    provide "zero-configuration" operation of the application.
    Unfortunately, many of these hard-coded multicast addresses are often
    picked at random by the application developers resulting in multicast
    address collisions with other protocols/applications or conflicts
    with the multicast scoping plans of a network administrator.  This
    document describes a "light-weight" multicast address discovery
    protocol that can be used by application clients to locate their
    nearest application server using well-known scope relative multicast
    addresses.  Once located, the server can then communicate the
    multicast address(es) that have been configured on the server by the
    network administrator for use by the application.  This permits
    applications be written to operate in a flexible "near-zero"
    configuration mode without having to use "hard-coded" addresses or
    rely on any other network service other than multicast and the
    existence of a nearby application server.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-williamson-mboned-madp-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then
"get draft-williamson-mboned-madp-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-williamson-mboned-madp-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID: <[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-williamson-mboned-madp-00.txt

<ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-williamson-mboned-madp-00.txt>
_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned