Subject: [MBONED] mboned: Recommended/supported service for Internet Multicast ?

From: Toerless Eckert <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 15:40:28 -0800

So, let's assume someone was trying to figure out what the IETF
specifically has to say about "Internet Multicast" and what standards
and/or expectations he IETF has/expects solutions supporting it.

I wouldn't know good BCPs, for eg:

-> "Internet Multicast MUST support SSM,
    it should not mandate inclusion of ASM in IPv4"

Is this something:

  a) MBoned does agree upon ?
  b) Is written down anywhere ? (BCP, ...)

If not a), then i wonder:

  I) What standards protocol method exists in IETF for Internet Multicast
     ASM ?
     
     As far as i see it, PIM-SM + MSDP
     is the only interdomain model for ASM (and Internet should really
     imply mandatory support for interdomain, right ?). And MSDP
     is explicitly experimental, not standards track. And there's
     no replacement.

     (of course, for IPv6 there is embedded-RP, so at least one
      interdomain ASM solution).
  
 II) Security:
     
     How is ASM ever supposed to provide a secure service in the
     Internet Scope if we assume the success case where 100 millions
     of residential subscribers at home would be able to send
     multicast traffic ?

So i thought we always had the gentlemans agreement that Internet
Multicast (at least IPv4) should mean SSM only, but no BCP, etc, right ?

Then the next question is about expectations against protocols used
to provide Internet Multicast:

  -> In my memory, PIM-SM was specifically choosen/designed for
     the reason to not create state for some multicast group in
     parts of the network that do not need to know about it, aka:
     those not between sources and receivers. - because networks
     are supposed to be large and groups on average much smaller than
     the whole scope of the Internet. In addition, membership to
     Internet Multicast group/channels can dynamically change easily.
  
Does MBoned still feel this is a requirement against protocols
supporting Internet Multicast ? Any BCP stating this ?

Would it be time for some form of MBoned statement summarizing these points ?

Thanks
    Toerless
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned