Subject: Re: [MBONED] WG item adoption: <draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt>

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:42:59 +0100

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 05:15:21PM +0900, Hiroshi Ohta wrote:
> Working group,
> 
> During the last session of mboned in IETF-72 in Dublin, there were good
> number of supports to adopt
> <draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt> "Requirements for
> IP Multicast Session Announcement in the Internet" as a WG item.  The
> I-D can be found at
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt
> 
> If you have any comment or an objection to adopt it as a WG item, please
> post them on the ML by Sept. From [email-masked]  Thu Sep 11 02:43:11 2008
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 10:42:59 +0100
From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WG item adoption:
	<draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt>
Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 05:15:21PM +0900, Hiroshi Ohta wrote:
> Working group,
> 
> During the last session of mboned in IETF-72 in Dublin, there were good
> number of supports to adopt
> <draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt> "Requirements for
> IP Multicast Session Announcement in the Internet" as a WG item.  The
> I-D can be found at
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt
> 
> If you have any comment or an objection to adopt it as a WG item, please
> post them on the ML by Sept19, 2008, 14:00 EDT.
> 
> Thank you.
> Hiroshi and Marshall

Hi,

I support adoption of the draft by the WG.   The text is good enough to
generate appropriate discussion.

The text talks about SAP in the past tense, but it is a current protocol
and in use today.  Hence of course the need for something new/improved.

The draft should also include IPv6 equivalents to IPv4 examples, in
particular where there may be differences due to the protocols.   For
example, one might include a capability to gather SAP-a-like information
from a given provider that only uses Embedded-RP (may or may not be a Good
Thing, but just an example).

-- 
Tim
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

. 19, 2008, 14:00 EDT.
> Thank you.
> Hiroshi and Marshall

Hi,

I support adoption of the draft by the WG.   The text is good enough to
generate appropriate discussion.

The text talks about SAP in the past tense, but it is a current protocol
and in use today.  Hence of course the need for something new/improved.

The draft should also include IPv6 equivalents to IPv4 examples, in
particular where there may be differences due to the protocols.   For
example, one might include a capability to gather SAP-a-like information
from a given provider that only uses Embedded-RP (may or may not be a Good
Thing, but just an example).

-- 
Tim
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:25:42 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 11 Sep 2008, Tim Chown wrote:
>> post them on the ML by Sept. 19, 2008, 14:00 EDT.

While I'm sympthetic to this effort, I don't support adopting this at 
this time.  The WG has, IMHO, not made sufficient progress in its 
current work items (about a dozen of them) to be able to take on new 
work.

(Note that some of these efforts have already gone to WGLC or beyond 
that, but seem to resist being driven to completion.)

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 13:25:42 +0300 (EEST)

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:59:09 +0100

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 01:25:42PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >>IP Multicast Session AnnouncemFrom [email-masked]  Tue Sep 23 04:59:24 2008
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:59:09 +0100

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 01:25:42PM +0300, Pekka Savola wrote:
> >>IP Multicast Session Announcemenent in the Internet" as a WG item.  The
> >>I-D can be found at
> >>

In which case the current work items should be flushed to completion
or dropped.   I don't think ignoring this subject matter because of
bottlenecks elsewhere is a good idea.

-- 
Tim

t in the Internet" as a WG item.  The
> that, but seem to resist being driven to completion.)

In which case the current work items should be flushed to completion
or dropped.   I don't think ignoring this subject matter because of
bottlenecks elsewhere is a good idea.

-- 
Tim

---

From: Hiroshi Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:42:41 +0900

I agree with Tim.  If bottlenecks in other work area is the only reason
not to support, I think we should adopt this draft as a WG item.  Of
course, Marshall and I will try to accelerate other items as well
although sometimes it is beyond our control...

What do you think?

Best regards,
Hiroshi

Tim Chown wrote at 2008/09/23 20:59
>>>> From [email-masked]  Tue Sep 30 00:43:23 2008
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:42:41 +0900
From: Hiroshi Ohta <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WG item
	adoption:	<draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt>
Sender: [email-masked]

I agree with Tim.  If bottlenecks in other work area is the only reason
not to support, I think we should adopt this draft as a WG item.  Of
course, Marshall and I will try to accelerate other items as well
although sometimes it is beyond our control...

What do you think?

Best regards,
Hiroshi

Tim Chown wrote at 2008/09/23 20:59

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:28:48 -0400

> although sometimes it is beyond our control...

I think we need more comments from the list - so far we have one  
positive and one negative, so
I would like to encourage people to comment on this.

Regards
Marshall

>>>>> "Requirements for
>>>>> If you have any comment or an objeFrom [email-masked]  Tue Sep 30 06:28:30 2008
From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
To: Hiroshi Ohta <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:28:48 -0400
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MBONED] WG item
	adoption:	<draft-asaeda-mboned-session-announcement-req-00.txt>
Sender: [email-masked]

> although sometimes it is beyond our control...

I think we need more comments from the list - so far we have one  
positive and one negative, so
I would like to encourage people to comment on this.

Regards
Marshall

>>>>> "Requirements for
>>>>> If you have any comment or an objectction to adopt it as a WG  
>>>>> item, please
>>> While I'm sympthetic to this effort, I don't support adopting this  
>>> at this time.  The WG has, IMHO, not made sufficient progress in  
>>> its current work items (about a dozen of them) to be able to take  
>>> on new work.
>>>
>>> (Note that some of these efforts have already gone to WGLC or  
>>> beyond that, but seem to resist being driven to completion.)

ion to adopt it as a WG  
>>>>> item, please
>>> While I'm sympthetic to this effort, I don't support adopting this  
>>> at this time.  The WG has, IMHO, not made sufficient progress in  
>>> its current work items (about a dozen of them) to be able to take  
>>> on new work.
>>>
>>> (Note that some of these efforts have already gone to WGLC or  
>>> beyond that, but seem to resist being driven to completion.)

---

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:13:07 +0900 (JST)

Marshall and WG,

> I would like to encourage people to comment on this.

We got a good number of agreement in the last meeting.
"One negative opinion" in this ML is not a negative opinion for this
draft's topic itself. (I agree that the current work items should be
flushed to completion, though.)
I believe this draft will become a good start for the necessary
discussion in this WG.
Regards,
--
Hitoshi Asaeda
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Hitoshi Asaeda <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 17:13:07 +0900 (JST)

Marshall and WG,

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:18:17 +0200

>> I would like to encourage people to comment on this.

I'm also in favour of adoption,

Stig

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 10:18:17 +0200

Stig