Subject: [MBONED] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 08:15:02 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the MBONE Deployment Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Multicast Ping Protocol
	Author(s)       : S. Venaas
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-06.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2008-11-03

The Multicast Ping Protocol specified in this document allows for
checking whether an endpoint can receive multicast, both Source-
Specific Multicast (SSM) and Any-Source Multicast (ASM).  It can also
be used to obtain additional multicast related information like
multicast tree setup time etc.  This protocol is based on an
implementation of tools called ssmping and asmping.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-06.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:24:12 +0100

I posted revision 6 based on the wglc feedback. For a diff showing what
I changed, you may see e.g.
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-06.txt

I'll try to summarize here. Note that there are no protocol changes.

Intended status is now "Standards Track" (i.e. PS, not Informational).

Removed reference to RFC 2460.

Removed a sentence about switch to SPT.

Added a paragraph on fragmentation, pointing out why useful to allow
it, that document does not specify whether to do PMTU discovery, but
that this might be a future extension.

Removed text on rate limiting under server behaviour, and rewrote and
extended the rate limiting text in the recommendations section.

There were several IANA considerations changes. The major one is that
the previous "experimental, private or vendor specific" ranges are now
marked as "experimental". I believe that is the most suitable. If some
option is used for a long period of time on the Internet, it's important
for interoperability to get it registered. Suggested text for the
registries is also included.

Added a security consideration on how the tool could be used to make a
server send packets to a group used by some other multicast application.

I think this should resolve the issues brought up during the last call.
Please post to the list if you have any issues with this new revision.

Stig

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:24:12 +0100

Stig