Subject: [MBONED] I-D Action:draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 06:30:01 -0800 (PST)

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the MBONE Deployment Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Multicast Ping Protocol
	Author(s)       : S. Venaas
	Filename        : draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-07.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2008-12-02

The Multicast Ping Protocol specified in this document allows for
checking whether an endpoint can receive multicast, both Source-
Specific Multicast (SSM) and Any-Source Multicast (ASM).  It can also
be used to obtain additional multicast-related information such as
multicast tree setup time.  This protocol is based on an
implementation of tools called ssmping and asmping.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
MBONED mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:37:55 +0100

I just submitted rev 07 of what I hope might be the last revision...

Apart from lots of editorial changes, there are two major ones. Based
on the input on the list I decided not to specify a well-known
multicast group.

1. Rate limiting

   I moved some of the previous rate limiting stuff that were just
   recommendations and made it normative using 2119 terms. It
   emphasises that the default MUST be to do rate limiting to accepting
   one request per second. But also says that implementations should
   (lower case) have configuration options for allowing higher rates
   from specific clients.

   I think this should be a reasonable balance between safe defaults and
   allowing more specialised use for those that need it.

2. Session ID

   I made the change I proposed on the list a few days ago. Due to
   security, the Session ID is no longer to be used in replies. This
   required changes several places in the document.

   I also updated the table to say SHOULD (and not MAY) for using
   Session ID.

For all the changes I've made, see
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/mboned/draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping/draft-ietf-mboned-ssmping-07-from-06.wdiff.html

Stig

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 16:37:55 +0100

1. Rate limiting

2. Session ID

Stig

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 11:33:36 -0500

These changes seem fairly straightforward to me. If anyone feels that  
there are issues here and
there should be another WGLC, please let me know by Monday of next  
week. Otherwise,
we will send this to the IESG.

Regards
Marshall

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 11:33:36 -0500

Regards
Marshall