Subject: [MBONED] Comments on draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req

From: JW Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:06:51 -0500

With the re-publishing of draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req, we would like to
offer some comments on the architectural model that it proposes.

While the document is careful to acknowledge the obvious fact that the
likely environment for a system of this type will be a multi-domain AAA
environment, the examples and the overall description of the
relationships are clearly single-domain (or, at most, a two-domain with
the Content Provider (CP) owning one AAA domain and the Network Service
Provider (NSP) owning the other AAA domain).

While it may be desirable for many reasons to restrict this version of
the requirements document to a fairly simple case, our view is that, for
the envisaged environment (i.e., the open Internet) the "content
providers" most likely to interact with NSPs are actually going to be
"merchants", not actual creators of content.  These "merchants" will
serve to market the products offered by the CP.  Given that the
requirements document already acknowledges the likelihood of multiple
CPs interacting with a given ISP, it seems likely that the introduction
of a convenient interface between an NSP and the "outside world" will
simplify the accommodation of multiple CPs, and make the introduction of
"merchants" much easier.

We understand that introducing "merchants" introduces the whole field of
e-commerce, where the IETF is not mandated to provide standards. 
However, given that the major purpose of the stated requirements is to
enable the creation of a revenue stream, it seems necessary (in our
view) to include at least a statement of what would be expected on an
interface with such external parties.

We would welcome any commentary (for or against) this idea, and
apologize in advance if this has already been discussed in the Working
Group.

Bill Atwood and Salekul Islam

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email: [email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http: //users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8

---

From: Hiroaki Sato <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:40:59 +0900

Bill and Salekul

Thank you for your feedback.

> Provider (NSP) owning the other AAA domain).

In the document we mention the "Interface between NSP and CP".  And the 
diagram in 5.1.1 we show multiple CPs. I think it's enough. Do you feel 
this requires further elaboration?  Are there missing requirements you 
feel should be included for multiple CPs?

> interface with such external parties.

We believe that the distinction between content merchant and content 
creator does not need to be reflected in the network model since the 
important point is who is serving and managing the contents (content 
provision) from the technical point of view.
Actually there are some business requirements on them but it's 
independent of network technologies.

> Bill Atwood and Salekul Islam

Thank you
Hiroaki

-- 
************************************
NTT Network Service Systems Lab.
Hiroaki Sato
TEL:0422-59-4683 (+81-422-59-4683)
FAX:0422-59-5636 (+81-422-59-5636)
************************************