Subject: Re: [MBONED] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-08.txt

From: "ALTOM, MARK W (ATTLABS)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 07:38:29 -0500

The following are our comments on "Requirements for Multicast AAA
coordinated between Content Provider(s) and Network Service
Provider(s)(draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-08)"

1. A requirement should be added that the AAA mechanisms that are
specified should be applicable to AMT multicast as well as end-to-end
native multicast.
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-09 

2. How do you "unauthorize" an end user after the end user has been
authenticated and authorized to join a multicast stream?  For example:

	* An end-user may only be authorized to join a multicast stream
for a specific amount of time.  How do you drop a user from the stream
when the user has "timed out?"
	* An end-user may be authorized to access only a certain amount
of content.  How do you drop a user from the stream when the user has
exceeded the specified amount of content?

This suggests that at a minimum, the elements to authorization should
include:
	* Stream (S,G or *,G)
	* Time
	* Bandwidth or amount of content

3. Are there any mechanisms for re-authentication and re-authorization?

4. Section 3 is titled "Current Business Models," but only 2 business
models are described:

	* A single entity model where CP (Content Provider) and NSP
(Network Service Provider) are the same entity
	* Multiple entity model without direct content-based billing

However, these are not the only current business models.  Maybe a better
title for section 3 is "Common Business Models."

5. Section 4 describes a proposed model with direct billing of the end
user.  However, the proposed AAA mechanisms would also be applicable to
scenarios where the CP or NSP wants to restrict access, but does not
necessarily require direct billing of the end user (for example support
for closed user groups).

Please let us know if you have questions or if you need additional
details.
Thanks,
Mark Altom
Andy Huang
Tom Imburgia
Pat McCrink
Han Nguyen
Doug Nortz
AT&T Labs
(Contact Mark Altom: [email-masked]; +1 732 420 9073)

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of [email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:30 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [MBONED] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-07.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the MBONE Deployment Working Group of the
IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for Multicast AAA coordinated
between Content Provider(s) and Network Service Provider(s)
	Author(s)	: H. Ohta, H. Satou, S. Vaidya, T. Hayashi, H.
He
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-07.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2009-1-12
	
This memo presents requirements in the area of accounting and 
     access control for IP multicasting.  The scope of the 
     requirements is limited to cases that Authentication,
     Accounting and Authorization (AAA) functions are coordinated
     between Content Provider(s) and Network Service Provider(s).
     General requirements for accounting and admission control
     capabilities including quality-of-service (QoS) related issues
     are listed.  This memo assumes that these capabilities can be
     realized by functions implemented at edges of a network based 
     on IGMP or MLD.  Finally, cases for Content Delivery Services
     (CDS) are described as application examples which could benefit
     from multicasting accounting and access control capabilities as
     described in this memo. 
      
     This memo defines requirements related to AAA issues for multi-
     entity provider models in which the network service provider and 
     content provider cooperate to provide CDS and various related AAA 
     functions for purposes such as protecting and accounting for the 
     access to content and network resources.  The requirements are 
     generally not relevant to cases in which there is not a reason to 
     share AAA functions between separate entities.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mboned-maccnt-req-07.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Hiroaki Sato <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 21:05:49 +0900

Mark,

Thank you for your draft review and feedback.  I will respond inline.

Hiroaki

> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-09

-> We are open to including the requirements for AMT to the document but 
are not ourselves familiar with AMT.  Would anyone from your team be 
willing to write the requirements and become a coauthor of ID-maccnt?

> 	* Bandwidth or amount of content

We will add requirements for unauthorize by timeout
We think bandwidth overflow and exceeding max number of channels can be 
rejected at 1st Join.

> 3. Are there any mechanisms for re-authentication and re-authorization?

->We agree this is necessary and will add the requirements for 
re-authentication.

> title for section 3 is "Common Business Models."

-> Agreed, we will change the title to "Common Business Models".

> necessarily require direct billing of the end user (for example support

-> We will change the section title to "Proposed Model: Multity-entity 
CDS"  and explain that there are cases with and without direct customer 
billing.

> _______________________________________________
> MBONED mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned
>
>
>

-- 
************************************
NTT Network Service Systems Lab.
Hiroaki Sato
TEL:0422-59-3141 (+81-422-59-3141)
FAX:0422-59-3167 (+81-422-59-3167)
************************************