Subject: [MBONED] Announcing an IPv4 to IPv6 multicast translation service

From: Teemu Kiviniemi <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 14:05:58 +0200

Hi all,

The Finnish University and Research Network Funet has started providing
an IPv4 to IPv6 multicast translation service. The service enables IPv6
hosts to receive any IPv4 multicast as IPv6 multicast. The service can
be used also outside the Funet network, in networks which support IPv6
multicast (e.g. M6Bone).

The service is based on a translator implementation developed at
CSC/Funet. The multicast translator is implemented as a new component of
open source MRD6 multicast router on Linux. The implementation follows
the architectural ideas and address translation presented in
draft-venaas-behave-mcast46 Internet-Draft. IPv4 to IPv6 protocol
translation is done using an adapted version of the SIIT algorithm (RFC
2765).

Usage instructions and more information about the service are available
at:
http://www.csc.fi/english/institutions/funet/networkservices/ipv6/mcast46

Information about the implementation is available in my master's thesis:
http://iki.fi/teemuki/translator/

The implementation is freely available in the MRD6 Git repository:
http://fivebits.net/proj/mrd6/

-- 
Merry Christmas,
Teemu Kiviniemi
CSC/Funet