Subject: [MBONED] AMT Specifications revision

From: Thomas Morin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 18:04:56 +0200

Hello,

The revision just posted is an attempt at moving forward AMT specs, 
based on the presentation made in Prague. Overall, the update is 
significant and I want to say it explicitly that the intent is not to 
impose them on the working group. The document is indeed a working group 
document and these changes are all open to discussion.

And to past authors and editors: thanks for all the work done, and don't 
hesitate to raise your voice if you feel the new occupants make 
excessive changes... ;-)

draft-ietf-mboned-auto-multicast-11 includes the following changes:
- removal of the procedures for sourcing multicast traffic from behind 
an AMT Gateway
- clarifiy that Relay need not, and must not, create any state before 
successful 3-way handshake
- allow the checksum to be zero for IPv6 AMT Data messages ("MAY", more 
clarification may be needed)
- clarifications on how the relay identifies a gateway and the fact that 
UDP source port has to be consistent across all exchanges
- extend Query message to optionally carry origin source address and 
port, to allow the Teardown mechanism to work even with a NAT box in the 
middle
- cover more issues in the security section
- retitle to "Automatic Multicast Tunneling" which already was the name 
proposed by the abstract, and seems more straightforward than the 
previous one
- many editorial changes

Comments welcome !

The following issues are not covered yet, and planned for next revision:
- state refreshes, how long between a Discovery and a Request, between a 
Request and an Update
- make it explicit when the Discovery procedures are needed/optional, 
that the use of an anycast address is not the only possible way
- explain how the Relay determines whether it should send an MLD or an 
IGMP query in response to a Request

I won't be in Quebec, but I'll provide a few slides with some more 
details on the above.

Thanks,

-Thomas