Subject: [MBONED] Review request - draft-josyula-dhc-multicast - DHCP Option for IPTV source addresses

From: Ramakanth Josyula <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 15:58:28 +0530

Hi,

I have submitted the below internet draft proposing a new DHCP option for
IPTV source addresses.

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-josyula-dhc-multicast-02.txt

I would request you to review this document and provide the comments on
standardizing the same.

Please guide me through the process if I miss anything with respect to the
process of the review.

Thanks and regards,

Ramakanth.

*Below is the brief introduction about the background and the benefits of
the proposed option :*

*Back ground : *

IPTV Solution is widely integrated as part of the broadband networks in
triple/multi play solutions. In many cases this service is run by
delivering multicast streams to the IP hosts/Set top boxes connected to the
home gateways.  IGMP protocol in IPv4 networks and   MLD protocol in IPv6
networks are commonly used for requesting these  multicast streams from the
nearest router connected via an access network. By using the IGMP version-3
in IPv4 networks and MLD version-2 in IPv6 networks, the hosts can request
multicast streams from the specific set of multicast sources.

The proposed option is intended to supply all the available IPv4 or IPv6
source addresses from which the multicast hosts can request and receive the
multicast streams.

 *Benefits of implementing this option :*

- It provides an effective method for maintaining and updating the
multicast source address information to every multicast host in the network
as per their individual SLAs.

- Intermediate access nodes can snoop this option from the DHCP messages to
extend the its multicast services like : Authentication of multicast users,
integrating non-source aware multicast clients etc.

- Convergence of IPTV services from different users can be achieved at the
user level irrespective of the multicast transmitting technologies used in
the network. For example, any service provider who manages the aggregation
and access networks can receive the multicast streams from different
sources/networks (may not be under their own administration) and feed them
to their access networks.

- The subscribers can easily validate the quality of the service offered by
different IPTV sources dynamically and switch to the interested source as
per their own set of requirements.

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 06:41:31 -0400

Looking at this quickly, I see it is based on the assumption that the 
user devices know which source addresses they are interested in. This 
presumably means that a program guide has been downloaded in advance so 
the user can select the services of interest. Why would you need to 
repeat the address information in DHCP (aside from policy filtering by 
the operator) if the user device already has it?

On 08/10/2013 6:28 AM, Ramakanth Josyula wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have submitted the below internet draft proposing a new DHCP option
> for IPTV source addresses.
>
> Please guide me through the process if I miss anything with respect to
> the process of the review.
>
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Ramakanth.
>
> *Below is the brief introduction about the background and the benefits
> of the proposed option :*
>
> *_Back ground : _*
>
> delivering multicast streams to the IP hosts/Set top boxes connected to
> the home gateways. IGMP protocol in IPv4 networks and   MLD protocol in
> IPv6 networks are commonly used for requesting these  multicast streams
> from the nearest router connected via an access network. By using the
> IGMP version-3 in IPv4 networks and MLD version-2 in IPv6 networks, the
> hosts can request multicast streams from the specific set of multicast
> sources.
>
> source addresses from which the multicast hosts can request and receive
> the multicast streams.
>
> *_Benefits of implementing this option :_*
>
> multicast source address information to every multicast host in the
> network as per their individual SLAs.
>
> - Intermediate access nodes can snoop this option from the DHCP messages
> to extend the its multicast services like : Authentication of multicast
> users, integrating non-source aware multicast clients etc.
>
> - Convergence of IPTV services from different users can be achieved at
> the user level irrespective of the multicast transmitting technologies
> used in the network. For example, any service provider who manages the
> aggregation and access networks can receive the multicast streams from
> different sources/networks (may not be under their own administration)
> and feed them to their access networks.
>
> - The subscribers can easily validate the quality of the service offered
> by different IPTV sources dynamically and switch to the interested
> source as per their own set of requirements.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> MBONED mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mboned
>

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 10:25:40 -0700

Hi

> the operator) if the user device already has it?

I have the same thoughts as Tom. I only see the option as potentially
useful for transitioning to SSM. If for some reason the program guide
solution cannot provide source info but the hosts and the network
supports SSM. But I think it is best to keep source and group
information together in one place. Rather than upgrading hosts or
setup boxes to support a new DHCP option, it should be better to fix
the program guide.

There are some other issues with a DHCP option. The content providers
who control the source address may not be the same managing the DHCP
server. Also, what if you want different sources for different groups?

Stig